Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why has my location become very broad?

I've been sharing my location with my spouse and within the last week or so the blue circle of location uncertainty has become very broad when in a structure. Particularly when that structure is not "stick built." On the order of 25 blocks or so. Has something started to fail on the phone? Some (older) signal been turned-off? Location certainty seems reasonably precise when the phone is outdoors.

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 5:51 PM

Outdoors the phone uses GPS satellites to find the location, which is generally accurate to 3 meters; that doesn’t work indoors, because the phone can’t see the sky, so it uses the location of known Wi-Fi networks and cell tower triangulation. If there are sufficient Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity the indoor accuracy should be as good or better as outdoors. So the first thing to do is to make sure Wi-Fi is enabled. It doesn’t have to connect to Wi-Fi, because the phone can still “see” Wi-Fi hotspots even when not connected, but Wi-Fi must be enabled.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 5:51 PM in response to perfgeek

Outdoors the phone uses GPS satellites to find the location, which is generally accurate to 3 meters; that doesn’t work indoors, because the phone can’t see the sky, so it uses the location of known Wi-Fi networks and cell tower triangulation. If there are sufficient Wi-Fi networks in the vicinity the indoor accuracy should be as good or better as outdoors. So the first thing to do is to make sure Wi-Fi is enabled. It doesn’t have to connect to Wi-Fi, because the phone can still “see” Wi-Fi hotspots even when not connected, but Wi-Fi must be enabled.

Why has my location become very broad?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.