Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing store Apple ID on a phone - is there an alternative to reinstalling every app?

iPhone apps (and perhaps other purchases) are tied to an Apple ID. Specifically the Apple ID specified as "Media & Purchases" Apple ID (MPAID) at the time of purchase.

If the phone "Media & Purchases" Apple ID changes new purchases will get the new MPAID. Old purchases, however, remain tied to the old MPAID.

If an app is updated the user is asked for a password. iOS does not specify the Apple ID, it just asks for a password. It wants the password associated with the MPAID used at time of purchase.

The only way I know to switch apps to the new MPAID is to delete the app and reinstall it.

Is there a better approach?

PS. Both the old MPAID and the new MAPID are part of the same family sharing group.

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 6:44 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 7:53 PM

I was able to find an answer to this question: I changed my Apple ID and now I can't upd… - Apple Community.

There's no alternative to reinstallation, though I think there's a workaround. If one uses the same password for both old and new Apple ID then when one is asked for a password during update at least you won't have to guess which to use. (In practice this would mean every member of our family would need to use the same Apple ID password.)

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 21, 2022 7:53 PM in response to jfaughnan

I was able to find an answer to this question: I changed my Apple ID and now I can't upd… - Apple Community.

There's no alternative to reinstallation, though I think there's a workaround. If one uses the same password for both old and new Apple ID then when one is asked for a password during update at least you won't have to guess which to use. (In practice this would mean every member of our family would need to use the same Apple ID password.)

Changing store Apple ID on a phone - is there an alternative to reinstalling every app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.