You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari is saying it is out of date and needs to be updated but I can't find where to update it. I've gone to the App store but it is not showing up there.

Safari is saying it is out of date and needs to be updated but I can't find where to update it. I've gone to the App store but it is not showing up there.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 11:16 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 11:25 AM

Have you checked System Preferences > Software Update

For more info:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211917

Update to the latest version of Safari - Apple Support

2 replies

Mar 5, 2022 3:41 PM in response to jalexander1963

The safari warning is a fake notice which is part of a virus/scheme. You get a notice and it says your Safari is not up to date. It asks you to click I dont want to update now or I do want to update now. Whatever you click on, a few minutes later you then get an email saying someone has logged onto your Internet provider account and they want to make sure the person logging in was you. It says on mine that someone tried to log in from Germany using firefox etc and provides IP addresses. It asks your to click to confirm it was or wasn't you who has logged in to Internet provider. It has the correct name of your Internet provider. I closed it out and deleted safari history for today and rebooted. I'd like to get an Apple list of instructions on how best to remove this because I am afraid that clicking on the initial pop up notice saying you do or dont want to update Safari, may drop a virus on your computer.

Anyone have any further info on how to remove this "virus"???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.