Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple gift card on Family shared accounts

Hello,

I have 3 kids who recently got Ipad's and when I set their accounts I did it as Family sharing so I can control the purchases. Everything has been working well so far, but when they tried to upload Apple gift cards they are not able to select it as method of payment when they try to make a purchase. It asks them to verify a method of payment but hey are not able to select their apple account(which shows the money that was uploaded). It also asks them to contact their family organizer which is me and I have no idea how to fix this so that they can access the money on their apple account.

Please help!

iPad Pro 11-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 2:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 2:16 PM

You cannot and do not need to select gift card balance as a payment method. It is automatically used for any purchases started form the Apple ID that holds the balance.

The Family Organizer's Payment method however, must always be verified. If its asking it to be verified, then there's something wrong you need to fix from your account for your payment method. Once that is done, then it should use the balance on their account to pay for any purchases started from their Apple ID.

Also of note, if the gift cards where redeemed to your account, and not theirs, then only purchases you initiate it will use the gift card balance.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 2:16 PM in response to Atoth202

You cannot and do not need to select gift card balance as a payment method. It is automatically used for any purchases started form the Apple ID that holds the balance.

The Family Organizer's Payment method however, must always be verified. If its asking it to be verified, then there's something wrong you need to fix from your account for your payment method. Once that is done, then it should use the balance on their account to pay for any purchases started from their Apple ID.

Also of note, if the gift cards where redeemed to your account, and not theirs, then only purchases you initiate it will use the gift card balance.

Apple gift card on Family shared accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.