Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch

My Apple Watch got really hot and erratic after a swim in the ocean and now it’s just a black screen and doesn’t even react when I put it on the charger. I’ve swam with it many times, but always fresh water. Is it fried, or is there a way to force it on? Is salt water harder on the watches than fresh water? I’ve tried the recommended force on of depressing both buttons on the side.

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 5:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 7:24 PM

Hello,

I believe the bigger problem with ocean swimming would be the wave impacts. Also, the fact that your watch became hot before it stopped working makes me think the power management protections may be in play. Ultimately, its very likely fried but you might get lucky. I doubt this is the Water Lock feature but have you tried turning the crown just incase that still ejects any water?

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

"Apple Watch Series 2 and newer may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 and newer shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth."

"After swimming, gently rinse Apple Watch Series 2 and newer with warm tap water. Dry Apple Watch and the band thoroughly if they're exposed to fresh water. Learn more about cleaning your Apple Watch."

"Allowing your Apple Watch to charge overnight might speed up evaporation."

"Apple Watch Series 2 and newer

When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with Water Lock to avoid accidental taps. When you're done, turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch. You hear sounds and may feel some water on your wrist. 

To manually clear water from Apple Watch, swipe up on the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center, tap Water Lock, then turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear water from the speaker."

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

"If your screen is blank or you see the charging cable icon and a red lightning bolt on the screen, charge your watch for up to 30 minutes."

I hope this helps.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 22, 2022 7:24 PM in response to Katdaddy1216

Hello,

I believe the bigger problem with ocean swimming would be the wave impacts. Also, the fact that your watch became hot before it stopped working makes me think the power management protections may be in play. Ultimately, its very likely fried but you might get lucky. I doubt this is the Water Lock feature but have you tried turning the crown just incase that still ejects any water?

About Apple Watch water resistance - Apple Support

"Apple Watch Series 2 and newer may be used for shallow water activities like swimming in a pool or ocean. However, Apple Watch Series 2 and newer shouldn't be used for scuba diving, water skiing, or other activities involving high velocity water or submersion below shallow depth."

"After swimming, gently rinse Apple Watch Series 2 and newer with warm tap water. Dry Apple Watch and the band thoroughly if they're exposed to fresh water. Learn more about cleaning your Apple Watch."

"Allowing your Apple Watch to charge overnight might speed up evaporation."

"Apple Watch Series 2 and newer

When you start a swimming workout, your Apple Watch automatically locks the screen with Water Lock to avoid accidental taps. When you're done, turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear any water from your Apple Watch. You hear sounds and may feel some water on your wrist. 

To manually clear water from Apple Watch, swipe up on the bottom of the watch face to open Control Center, tap Water Lock, then turn the Digital Crown to unlock the screen and clear water from the speaker."

If your Apple Watch won't charge or it won't turn on - Apple Support

"If your screen is blank or you see the charging cable icon and a red lightning bolt on the screen, charge your watch for up to 30 minutes."

I hope this helps.

Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.