Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Keychain not turning on or syncing across all devices

I recently got a new MacBookAir (Monterey 12.2.1) and couldn't get the Keychain to select on the System Preferences/Apple ID/iCloud panel. So I began looking online for answers and came across:

Keychain passwords not syncing between de… - Apple Community

An answer to that article recommended the following:

“If you want to sync iCloud Keychain with other devices

Make sure that your new device has the latest version of iOS and the latest version of macOS.

Then, make sure that your device is on a Wi-Fi or cellular network. If the connection appears strong, try these steps:

1. Turn off iCloud Keychain on all devices.
  2. Turn on iCloud Keychain on the device that has the most up-to-date keychain items.
  3. Turn on iCloud Keychain on your other devices. They will be updated with your new iCloud Keychain.”

Upon following the above instructions, Keychain can now no longer be turned back on on any of my devices (MacBookAir, iMac BigSur 11.6, iPhone 8 iOS 14.4.2, iPad Air 2 iOS 14.8.1).

However, Keychain is still working and is filling in passwords/forms and displaying all my sites and passwords. It's the syncing over iCloud that is broken and I'm hoping to fix this without losing all my password data.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Len

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 9:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 4:09 PM

Thanks Jeff_W,

I ended up contacting Apple Support as you suggest. It took a while but the rep helped identify that the problem stemmed from me not using Two-Factor Authentication, which also couldn't be turned on at this point. My iCloud account had to reverified at http://appleid.apple.com and then all my devices had to be restarted before I could get Two-Factor working on the iPhone. From there, each device had to be Two-Factor verified from the iPhone, then I was able to able to turn on Keychain on each. Took over an hour, but it's all working as advertised now : )

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 4:09 PM in response to Jeff_W.

Thanks Jeff_W,

I ended up contacting Apple Support as you suggest. It took a while but the rep helped identify that the problem stemmed from me not using Two-Factor Authentication, which also couldn't be turned on at this point. My iCloud account had to reverified at http://appleid.apple.com and then all my devices had to be restarted before I could get Two-Factor working on the iPhone. From there, each device had to be Two-Factor verified from the iPhone, then I was able to able to turn on Keychain on each. Took over an hour, but it's all working as advertised now : )

Feb 23, 2022 3:50 PM in response to LenRooney

Hi LenRooney,

Thank you for participating in the Apple Support Communities. We understand iCloud Keychain is not syncing and we'd like to assist. Just to confirm, have you tried the steps in this article?

If iCloud Keychain won't turn on or sync

If so, and the issue persists, we recommend contacting Apple Support for assistance.

Contact Apple Support

Take care.

iCloud Keychain not turning on or syncing across all devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.