Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete files in Target Disk Mode

Hi all,

My startup disk is full and my computer won’t reboot. It just stays on the screen with the Apple logo and progress bar. I can’t boot in Safe Mode either. Disk Utility is showing 16.33gb available (of a 1TB drive) which is the culprit. The first aid option doesn’t resolve anything. I can boot to Target Disk Mode which is what I would hope to be my path to recovery but I’m a bit stuck.

I can access the problematic Mac’s hard drive through a MacBook and see all my files. My hope was that I could delete some of these files so I can gain some more space. I went through a lot of files and was able to shave off about 20gb (and emptied the trash). This didn’t solve my problem. I booted to Disk Utility again to see the amount available space and it still showed 16.33gb.

I don’t have access to the other MacBook to boot to Target Disk Mode or else I would look to see if the files were indeed gone or if they re-appeared. I assume they would be still be there since Disk Utility is showing no change. Assuming that they would be there again, how can I permanently delete files via Target Disk Mode to free up space in order for the computer to reboot?

Thanks in advance.

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 22, 2022 10:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 3:57 AM

Do you have a Time Machine or any other backup of the non-booting computer? If the backups are viable you should be in a position to do a clean install of MacOS on the non-booting computer followed by a selective transfer of files from your backups.

I’ve never had to use target disk mode so I’m just speculating. If you were to plug a formatted but empty usb drive into the non-booting computer would it be recognised? If yes you may be able to copy files you want to keep over to this usb drive and afterwards you could do a clean install on the non-booting computer.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 23, 2022 3:57 AM in response to patm718

Do you have a Time Machine or any other backup of the non-booting computer? If the backups are viable you should be in a position to do a clean install of MacOS on the non-booting computer followed by a selective transfer of files from your backups.

I’ve never had to use target disk mode so I’m just speculating. If you were to plug a formatted but empty usb drive into the non-booting computer would it be recognised? If yes you may be able to copy files you want to keep over to this usb drive and afterwards you could do a clean install on the non-booting computer.

Feb 23, 2022 9:24 AM in response to Mal-S

Sorry, I should have mentioned that. Yes I have a time machine backup (and iCloud Photo Library). I think that approach might work. So, when I do a Time Machine backup can I opt not to restore the photos? That is what ultimately got me into this mess as I have over 500gb of them. Perhaps I can use Target Disk Mode and transfer the files to an external drive (thus securing another backup), then restore from a Time Machine backup but not restore the photos. Then I can delete a lot of things, then turn on iCloud Photo Library (and this time choose “optimize storage”!). Full resolution photos are held in the cloud, correct?

Feb 23, 2022 10:44 AM in response to Mal-S

Hm. I’m not that that scenario will work for me because I want to restore everything as is, just without the photo library. That seems to be more for individual files, not a simple check mark for photos (as there is with “Documents and Data” for example). Actually, there is an “edit” option right next to Documents and Data during the restore flow. Do you know what that leads to?

How to delete files in Target Disk Mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.