Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hard Drive is Full - Please help

I have an older MacBook Pro (Early 2011- 15")still running on Sierra OS. I know it will run slow but it is running much slower.

Right before my wife passed almost two years ago I was copying files from a hard disk to the built in CD Rom. Well the Hard Driver ran out of room because it filled up with the temp files it wrote to write it to the CD. The program froze and I had to shut down. I was never able to complete the writing of the files on the CD.

I am guessing that the files are on the Hard Drive somewhere because my hard drive is full and was never even close to full before I attempted to write the files to a CD.

If correct, where will I find those file where I can delete them and at least be able to use my old machine for other purposes like for the Grandkids when they come over!

Thank you for your help

Posted on May 16, 2020 8:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 9:02 AM

I suggest starting with this article to see if it can help:

Similar questions

5 replies

May 16, 2020 11:34 AM in response to DAOlivares

Gotcha. Ok, on Macs, temporary files could be located in a number of locations. See if any of the following articles can help:

May 16, 2020 10:06 AM in response to DAOlivares

I guess there is a few way to approach this, and it will depend on if any of the files on this notebook are critical and/or not been backed up. If they are not and you already have a recent backup of the notebook's system drive, you may want to consider completely erasing it, and then, install a "clean" copy of macOS using Recovery Mode. Would this be something that would work for you in this situation?

May 16, 2020 10:20 AM in response to Tesserax

Ok let me back up. I was moving files from an external disc to a the CD writer on the MacBook. It stopped because it wrote the files on the MacBook Hard Drive to copy to the CD. My question is.... Where does it write these files on the MacBook Hard Drive to copy to the CD? Those are the files that have filled up my hard drive. I would like to remove those files and not do a complete reinstallation.

Hard Drive is Full - Please help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.