Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving search bar on ipad

How do I move the search bar to the bottom of screen on ipad? The three dots above the search bar are annoying and I want to get away from them

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 3:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 4:03 AM

Whyyy is this not an option?! I spent $2k on this iPad Pro and this one little thing is making me want to return it. It’s just terribly inconvenient to have to reach all the way to the top and then type awkwardly in the search bar when sitting at my desk. It’s be so much better if it were at the bottom. Do you know if this will ever become an option on an iPad?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 4:03 AM in response to LotusPilot

Whyyy is this not an option?! I spent $2k on this iPad Pro and this one little thing is making me want to return it. It’s just terribly inconvenient to have to reach all the way to the top and then type awkwardly in the search bar when sitting at my desk. It’s be so much better if it were at the bottom. Do you know if this will ever become an option on an iPad?

Mar 3, 2022 4:22 AM in response to InjaneAsylum

Contributors here are all end-users - just like you. We have no insight into Apple’s product development and release programmes beyond information that is publicly released.

Some Browser developers have experimented, with limited success, in moving the Address Bar to the bottom of the screen. Whilst this may appear to be a useful convenience feature, users often find that other usability issues surface with this arrangement. That said, Apple have offered/implemented this feature for Safari in iOS for iPhone.

The reasons for this feature not being released for iPad, other than wider usability issues to which I have already alluded, are known only to Apple.

Apple do invite submission of constructive comments and feature requests via their Product Feedback portal. For iPad and iPadOS:

Feedback - iPad - Apple

Feb 23, 2022 3:36 AM in response to Judyl331

Unlike iOS15 for iPhone, iPadOS15 does not support transposition of the Safari tab/search bars to the bottom of the screen.

In addressing your issue, consider that in Safari the entire URL field is a tappable zone. Just tap anywhere in the visible field (not just the visible text). Armed with this knowledge - and admittedly a little deliberate and conscious practice - you will quickly become accustomed to a slightly different way of using Safari. A new “habit” will emerge - and become your new sub-conscious behaviour.

Unless you are extremely accurate in tapping only the address bar itself, a central tap can trigger the multitasking function. You have sub-consciously “learned” to tap the centre of the bar - because you have been conditioned to tapping the actual visible text to edit this input field. As this text is centre-justified, you are unwittingly attracted to the centre - where the touch zone for the multitasking button is located.

As such, just tap anywhere in the Search Bar field - and not the centre-justified text within the field.

Moving search bar on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.