Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Canon G1520 printer, will not print

I’ve just bought a Canon G1520 printer, for my 2015 iMac that’s running High Sierra 10.13.6. It doesn’t print.

The Canon helpline say it’s an Airprint printer, though it’s not stated as such in the specifications or list of compatible printers on the Canon website, or on Apple’s list. The printer is connected via a USB cable.

When I try to add the printer my iMac says that software is missing and I should download it from the printer company. I don’t use a wireless network; is this the issue?

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 4:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 2:24 PM

Thanks to all who answered.

After eight useless conversations with Canon's tech support and three with Apple's, I'm sending the printer back. Apple were useless, but not as thoroughly useless as Canon. Nobody at either company knew what they were talking about, except the last call from Canon who said it must be a fault and to return it. I'm looking for another printer now; guess which company It won't be from...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 2:24 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Thanks to all who answered.

After eight useless conversations with Canon's tech support and three with Apple's, I'm sending the printer back. Apple were useless, but not as thoroughly useless as Canon. Nobody at either company knew what they were talking about, except the last call from Canon who said it must be a fault and to return it. I'm looking for another printer now; guess which company It won't be from...

Feb 23, 2022 7:17 AM in response to A-Bloke

Hi,

As you indicated, AirPrint is not mentioned in the G1520 specifications at https://www.canon.co.uk/printers/pixma-g1520/specifications/ . Some USB-only devices (such as Canon G1220) similar to AirPrint printers are listed in the About AirPrint - Apple Support article, but not a G1520. The G1520 support page for drivers at https://www.canon.co.uk/support/consumer_products/products/fax__multifunctionals/inkjet/pixma_g_series/pixma-g1520.html?type=drivers&language=en&os=macos%2010.13%20(high%20sierra) says "This product is compatible with the operating system selected using AirPrint only - a driver is not required."

Any change if you reset the printing system and try to re-add the printer?

Reset the Mac printing system to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Feb 23, 2022 7:46 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Jan,

I've just discovered that it says it's an Airport printer, in tiny writing in a footnote on the box. I've just talked to Apple again (3rd time), and when asked say that I need a wireless network to run AirPrint. I think they and Canon just assumed that was the case, and didn't think to ask.

There's no change if I reset the printing system...

Thank you.

Feb 23, 2022 9:12 AM in response to A-Bloke

Thank you for the information.

You probably mean AirPrint, not AirPort. AirPort is Apple's wireless system (for example, base stations).

Since your printer is USB only, it would not be logical to assume or require that it should use AirPrint via a wireless network.

The driverless AirPrint technology will work via a wireless network, but can also be used wired over an Ethernet connection (to one of the LAN ports of a router). However, as I indicated in my previous message, there are even some USB-only devices with capabilities "similar to" AirPrint printers. The idea in this case would be to use a direct USB connection to a computer, without having to install any additional drivers. I guess that the G1520 is a device of the latter kind. You should demand that Canon confirms that the G1520 can be used without extra drivers when connected by USB to a Mac computer running macOS 10.13 High Sierra (see the above specifications about supported operating systems).

New Canon G1520 printer, will not print

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.