Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessage conversation history missing?

After the latest update, the conversation history disappeared for just one of my contacts (as far as I can tell). It only goes back about two weeks. If I have them interact (like a comment or pic) then it starts to download more message history... about a week's worth at a time, but I'm missing years and years worth of messages! Also it doesn't seem to be a permanent fix, as I just checked again and I've already lost some of the messages that I thought I had gained back. Soooooo frustrating! Doing a restore from back up won't fix anything if it won't download them from the cloud where they're already stored... correct?

iPhone 7 Plus

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 6:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 1:59 AM

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice MemosMessages*, shared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 1:59 AM in response to hkach73

What does iCloud back up? - Apple Support

iCloud backup doesn’t include information that is synced and stored in iCloud, like Contacts, Calendars, Bookmarks, Mail, Notes, Voice MemosMessages*, shared photosiCloud Photos*, Health data, call history, and files you store in iCloud Drive.

*-If you had turned on Messages in iCloudiCloud Photos, your content is automatically stored in iCloud and is available on all devices that use the same Apple ID

Feb 24, 2022 7:08 AM in response to SravanKrA

Then I should be able to see all my messages from this contact, but it only shows the last 10 days. It doesn't matter what device I'm on. If they, or I, interact (like an older comment or picture) it'll update and give me access to a few more days of message history but it doesn't last. I should be able scroll and see years worth of messages. I've talked with a couple of friends and this happened to them as well after this last update.

iMessage conversation history missing?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.