Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No text alerts on iPhone when watch is connected

I find no way to get notifications on the watch while also preserving the audio/screen alert on the iPhone.

The watch seems to override. The screen on my phone doesn't even wake when getting a notification.

Hopefully I'm just missing a configuration option somewhere.

I like notifications on the watch, but I still want my phone act exactly as it would if the watch were not getting notifications. I should be able to have the same functionality with the Apple Watch.

NOTE:

This question was asked in 2015 but there has never been a satisfactory answer. Hasn't Apple come up with anything yet? How about this Community ?

I have an iPhone 10 Xr and a Series 5 watch both with the latest updates and automatic update turned on.

Apple Watch Series 5, watchOS 8

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 9:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 10:57 AM

Thanks to both of you. That seems really dumb to me. I wear hearing aids and need all the help I can get to know a message is coming in. Phone calls ring out loud just fine and sync to my hearing aids when I answer on my phone, but the conversation goes through the watch if I answer there.

I will take razemee209's advice and ask for a "fix" for people with a hearing disability. (Yet another fine gift from Viet Nam)

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 10:57 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Thanks to both of you. That seems really dumb to me. I wear hearing aids and need all the help I can get to know a message is coming in. Phone calls ring out loud just fine and sync to my hearing aids when I answer on my phone, but the conversation goes through the watch if I answer there.

I will take razemee209's advice and ask for a "fix" for people with a hearing disability. (Yet another fine gift from Viet Nam)

Feb 24, 2022 10:37 AM in response to Flyboy1997

Flyboy1997 wrote:

I find no way to get notifications on the watch while also preserving the audio/screen alert on the iPhone.

The watch seems to override. The screen on my phone doesn't even wake when getting a notification.

Hopefully I'm just missing a configuration option somewhere.

I like notifications on the watch, but I still want my phone act exactly as it would if the watch were not getting notifications. I should be able to have the same functionality with the Apple Watch.

NOTE:
This question was asked in 2015 but there has never been a satisfactory answer. Hasn't Apple come up with anything yet? How about this Community ?

I have an iPhone 10 Xr and a Series 5 watch both with the latest updates and automatic update turned on.

Doesn't work that way, it's either the phone or the watch that gets the notification. Don't like it let Apple know here Product Feedback - Apple

Feb 27, 2022 5:46 AM in response to KateC810

Since you replied to my question rather than posting your own, you may want to look at all the answers to mine. The short version is that this is the way Apple has it designed and as users we cannot change it. I have just resigned myself to that (as with many other facts of existence ) and just leave it alone.

What you do is up to you, but I think having them paired is more useful than the irritating inability of missing an occasional text. I just have the volume for texts as loud as it will go on my watch and if yours also has Haptics (vibration on your wrist) make sure that's on, too.

This would be a very simple coding change if Apple chose to do it, but we live with what we have. I can only guess that, in some way Apple believes they get some additional revenue by leaving it this way. I see no other reason for it to be something the user can't set the way they want.

Good luck.

Feb 27, 2022 7:55 AM in response to Flyboy1997

Flyboy1997 wrote:

This would be a very simple coding change if Apple chose to do it, but we live with what we have. I can only guess that, in some way Apple believes they get some additional revenue by leaving it this way. I see no other reason for it to be something the user can't set the way they want.

Good luck.

I can’t imagine any what that Apple can get revenue from how you are alerted. But I can imagine what would happen if alerts went both to the phone and the watch. “Apple, why are you bugging me by alerting on BOTH my phone and my watch! You can’t imagine how annoying this is! I keep thinking I’ve gotten 2 alerts when I only have one!"

No text alerts on iPhone when watch is connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.