Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving data to a new iMac from a PC

Having trouble using Migration Assistant when trying to move data from an old PC to iMac. All virus protections are turned off and both computers connect via WIFI (very fast commercial connection), but the Migration Assistant collects files for a while then gives up and says that it can't complete the process. We have the PC backed up to an external hard drive. Is there a way I can move files from that drive to my new iMac?

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 12:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 10:02 AM

+1 on NOT using Wi-Fi. Your best bet is to either use an Ethernet connection or even better to move the data you want to migrate onto an external HD and then drag it to the Mac. I migrated from a PC many years ago now and use the EHD solution and it worked perfectly. It's really pretty simple, for example if you have a library of photos, please just put them into a Photos folder on the EHD, drag that folder to the Photos app icon the Mac's Dock and presto your photos are migrated! Then when you open the Photos app on the Mac all your photos are there waiting for you to do whatever you want with them like editing, organizing, placing on a map, etc...

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 10:02 AM in response to KO677

+1 on NOT using Wi-Fi. Your best bet is to either use an Ethernet connection or even better to move the data you want to migrate onto an external HD and then drag it to the Mac. I migrated from a PC many years ago now and use the EHD solution and it worked perfectly. It's really pretty simple, for example if you have a library of photos, please just put them into a Photos folder on the EHD, drag that folder to the Photos app icon the Mac's Dock and presto your photos are migrated! Then when you open the Photos app on the Mac all your photos are there waiting for you to do whatever you want with them like editing, organizing, placing on a map, etc...

Moving data to a new iMac from a PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.