Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID change due discontinued email address associated with Apple ID

I have been unable to change my Apple ID from "****@vodafone.co.nz" (Vodafone no longer support email) to my current email address "****@xtra.co.nz".

This presents a problem with purchases from the Apple store.

Can you please help me with this change...

[Email Edited by Moderator]

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 1:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 1:44 PM

What happens when you try to change the email address? Error message(s)?

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn of Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Have you logged into your Apple ID to see if the address shows under Reachable At, as a Rescue email address, or as a Notification email address? If it is listed, you can remove/replace the email address.

Apple ID - Manage  

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 24, 2022 1:44 PM in response to Skid5962

What happens when you try to change the email address? Error message(s)?

Note the restrictions in the article.

Apple ID Name Change.  * 

Make sure you turn of Find My Phone before signing out of the old ID. Once signed out and Find My Phone is off, then sign in with the new ID, then turn Find My Phone back on.

What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support  *  I suggest doing this before you change your Apple ID or password.

Have you logged into your Apple ID to see if the address shows under Reachable At, as a Rescue email address, or as a Notification email address? If it is listed, you can remove/replace the email address.

Apple ID - Manage  

Apple hasn’t published any guidance for using an address again. Normally, if your e-mail address was associated with an ID in any way, for example as a Notification email address or a Rescue e-mail address, then it can't be reused as an  Apple ID email address for approximately one year. I have also seen posts that stated Apple told them there was a 30 day waiting period before the address could be used again. You will need to get another e-mail address from somewhere like AOL or Yahoo to use as your Apple ID or you can try waiting 30 days to see if that works.

Apple ID change due discontinued email address associated with Apple ID

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.