Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Administrator name and password

I don't know my administrator name or password for my MacBook Air. How do I recover or find it?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Feb 24, 2022 6:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 5:30 AM

Easy. You have messed up your account folder name and user name.

So first of all you have to check if your user folder name is the same as in this setting: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

but if you are unable to make any changes you must contact apple support.

What you need to do is to create a new Admin user and change the permissions for the current one, this cannot be done without support, so they could see that every step is correct.

Contact Apple Support

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admistrator this is what you need, but it is not that easy because terminal commands are involved

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 5:30 AM in response to Brownboy06

Easy. You have messed up your account folder name and user name.

So first of all you have to check if your user folder name is the same as in this setting: Change the name of your macOS user account and home folder

but if you are unable to make any changes you must contact apple support.

What you need to do is to create a new Admin user and change the permissions for the current one, this cannot be done without support, so they could see that every step is correct.

Contact Apple Support

Restarting Setup Assistant to create Admistrator this is what you need, but it is not that easy because terminal commands are involved

Feb 25, 2022 4:24 AM in response to Brownboy06

Are there no users with "Admin" below their names?

The reason for asking is that changing your account from Standard to Admin would require logging in under an Admin account, unless you have an older Mac in which case another solution is possible.

What macOS version are you using? To determine that, read Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support. Tell me what it says next to Version.

Administrator name and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.