Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is "Automator Application Stub.app"

Hi, can anyone explain What is "Automator Application Stub.app" in "/System/Library/CoreServices/Automator Application Stub.app" is?

It is listed as,

Automator Application Stub:

Version: 1.3

Obtained from: Unknown

Last Modified: 2022-02-06, 22:22

Kind: Universal

Location: /System/Library/CoreServices/Automator Application Stub.app

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 2:44 AM

6 replies

Feb 25, 2022 2:10 PM in response to mattias82

No quite. The an Automatic standalone app is bundled in a "package". See this post to download the latest version (of set RAW Preview). To open in Automator drag and drop (the unzipped) standalone app on the Automator application. You can also right-click on the standalone app and select "Show Package Contents" to locate the stub.

I don't think that there's anything to worry about related to this stub.

Feb 25, 2022 4:17 AM in response to mattias82

User wrote " What is "Automator Application Stub.app " a possible answer was supplied.

User wrote " Why would Apple not sign it, is that theory a serious possibility???" that would be speculation which is not supported on these Forums.

Can say - I do not see this Application listed on either of my Apple M1 Desktop or Laptop in the location appearing if the supplied Screen Shot

Feb 25, 2022 3:05 AM in response to PRP_53

Why would Apple not sign it, is that theory a serious possibility???

"It is the system application that runs Automator applications (which have an Automator Application Stub executable in the bundle).

That application doesn't appear to be code-signed, which might be Apple's way of not letting you run it. The system partition is also read-only, so you can't alter anything in it."

What is "Automator Application Stub.app"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.