Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview on MacBook Pro says NEF format not supported

According to the Apple camera supported list the D800 is supported but NEF files as per my title are declared by Preview as not supported. All attempts to read with LrC as well as Photos fails as you would expect. Is there a patch or download of some type to get this operational?

Without this my wonderful MacBook Pro is a very expensive brick.

I hope someone has a solution. Thank you in advance for any assistance

Kind Regards

Gary

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 5:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 5:39 AM

To follow up and close out this issue. First, again thanks to those that assisted and commented. Further investigation definitively proved that the issue was with the internal card reader. Acceptable behaviour was seen using an external card reader with the cards used above attached to one of the thunderbolt ports. Thereafter a session with Apple tech support confirmed my findings doing a number of tests under Safe Boot.

I just upgrade to Monterey 12.2.1 and thus far the issue looks to be solved. Previously problematic cards when inserted are recognized and mounted on the desktop in about 10-15 seconds far improved than the previous 1 minute to mount. Card data is also viewable thru Preview with no issues.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 5:39 AM in response to garyjfk

To follow up and close out this issue. First, again thanks to those that assisted and commented. Further investigation definitively proved that the issue was with the internal card reader. Acceptable behaviour was seen using an external card reader with the cards used above attached to one of the thunderbolt ports. Thereafter a session with Apple tech support confirmed my findings doing a number of tests under Safe Boot.

I just upgrade to Monterey 12.2.1 and thus far the issue looks to be solved. Previously problematic cards when inserted are recognized and mounted on the desktop in about 10-15 seconds far improved than the previous 1 minute to mount. Card data is also viewable thru Preview with no issues.

Feb 25, 2022 10:22 AM in response to leroydouglas

Hello again;

I did review those links and it didn't help as the post where quit old but it did give me and idea to try a few things. I tried storing the files as JPG which would be a real poor solution but still wanted to see what would happen. That solved nothing but I did notice something interesting in the next few steps. Oh by the way inserting a card from the D800 takes well over a minute to be recognized on the desktop and any attempts at opening an image will lead to a crashed machine. I've seen that Preview dies in activity monitor.

I then found an image card that was formatted with a D7000. When inserting the D7000 card it came up on the desktop very quickly and I could preview the images that were all D7000 NEF. I then used the card in the D800 shooting a JPG image and that worked as I could see the D800 subfolder and the image. Repeated for a NEF file. That worked. So now I believe the MacBook Pro cannot read cards formatted by a D800. That is still a major problem but it doesn't seem to be a file format issue.

Feb 25, 2022 8:37 AM in response to garyjfk

garyjfk wrote:

According to the Apple camera supported list the D800 is supported but NEF files as per my title are declared by Preview as not supported. All attempts to read with LrC as well as Photos fails as you would expect. Is there a patch or download of some type to get this operational?

Without this my wonderful MacBook Pro is a very expensive brick.
I hope someone has a solution. Thank you in advance for any assistance

Kind Regards
Gary

See if there is anything here—

Solved: Re: Photoshop CC 2018 cannot open D800 NEF files ...

Opening Nikon D800 RAW or NEF files - Digital Photography ...

Preview on MacBook Pro says NEF format not supported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.