Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

do i need virus protection on my MacBook

do I need virus protection on my MacBook

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 12:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 12:06 PM

No.

There are no Mac viruses (malware that self propagates). There are plenty of Trojans (malware the user has to install in some manner). No AV software can stop those, making AV software totally useless.

About the only use AV software has is catching Windows malware - usually as email attachments - so you don't accidentally forward them to your Windows using contacts. But that's what they have AV software on their end for.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 12:06 PM in response to Myconcern

No.

There are no Mac viruses (malware that self propagates). There are plenty of Trojans (malware the user has to install in some manner). No AV software can stop those, making AV software totally useless.

About the only use AV software has is catching Windows malware - usually as email attachments - so you don't accidentally forward them to your Windows using contacts. But that's what they have AV software on their end for.

do i need virus protection on my MacBook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.