Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I pod touch for driving

Hi,

I'm looking into an iPod touch so I can listen to music in the car (from the internet e.g YouTube) & use maps mainly. I don't have any music stored or have a subscription to anything. I tend to just play from fip radio or you tube.

will it automatically connect to the internet when I'm driving so I can play music?

anyone else used iPod touch for music and maps for driving?

I haven't got a smartphone and don't want to be online all the time, but if it can work just for driving think it could be useful.

any more knowledge on the iPod touch appreciated.

thanks

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 2:27 PM

The iPod Touch is unlikely to meet your requirements unless you have music stored on the iPod itself.

I am not familiar with FIP Radio, but my research suggests that although it does broadcast on radio, it's only to a comparatively small area of the world (France). While one can listen to it from anywhere in the world, that is via the Internet, not radio transmission. I assume that you are not within FIP's radio reception area, because if you were, you would simply tune in on your car's radio.

So as with YouTube, you would need constant Internet access to listen to FIP, but you specifically state that you don't want to be online all the time.

The iPod Touch does not have direct access to the Internet. Instead, it uses your home Wi-Fi router, or when away from your home, a free access point such as those found in cafes etc. However, those outside-the-home Internet access points have limited range, so would not work in your car.

Likewise, a Maps app on an iPod would require a constant Internet access in order to work.

If FIP publishes any of their programmes as Podcasts, then you could download those Podcasts to your iPod and then play them while in your car. They are however, stored on your iPod, it is not a live feed (streaming). I haven't found any Podcasts from FIP.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 25, 2022 2:27 PM in response to LisaMay2022

The iPod Touch is unlikely to meet your requirements unless you have music stored on the iPod itself.

I am not familiar with FIP Radio, but my research suggests that although it does broadcast on radio, it's only to a comparatively small area of the world (France). While one can listen to it from anywhere in the world, that is via the Internet, not radio transmission. I assume that you are not within FIP's radio reception area, because if you were, you would simply tune in on your car's radio.

So as with YouTube, you would need constant Internet access to listen to FIP, but you specifically state that you don't want to be online all the time.

The iPod Touch does not have direct access to the Internet. Instead, it uses your home Wi-Fi router, or when away from your home, a free access point such as those found in cafes etc. However, those outside-the-home Internet access points have limited range, so would not work in your car.

Likewise, a Maps app on an iPod would require a constant Internet access in order to work.

If FIP publishes any of their programmes as Podcasts, then you could download those Podcasts to your iPod and then play them while in your car. They are however, stored on your iPod, it is not a live feed (streaming). I haven't found any Podcasts from FIP.

Feb 26, 2022 12:00 AM in response to the fiend

thanks for confirming. I don't mind being online when I'm driving but the reason I don't have a smartphone is I love to leave the house and not be connected 24/7.

I think unless either get a subscription to a music playing platform then an ipod won't really work for what I need as I don't have a music stored library.

thanks for your reply. appreciate you looking into it.

I pod touch for driving

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.