Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV, unable to download rented movies, can only download purchased ones

I cannot download the rented movies on my iPad, only ones that I have bought. Downloading the rented movies proceeds normally to the end, but then there is an error message: the movie cannot be downloaded. This has happened repeatedly with different movies. This is not an issue with the internet, since I have succesfully downloaded movies that I have purchased. The movies are not downloaded elsewhere, so that is not the issue either. (However, I tried downloading one on my computer and that worked. So the problem is with the iPad.)

iPad mini 6 Wi-Fi, Cellular

Posted on Feb 25, 2022 10:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:55 AM

Did you check the amount of free space on the iPad? You seem to have a pretty new model, so ‘disk full’ shouldn’t be an issue so soon, unless you download a lot to it. How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Rented content can be downloaded to one device at a time. If downloaded elsewhere, then it wouldn’t be downloadable on iPad. Downloads will be automatically removed after the rental period.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

If the issue persists despite the above, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 12:55 AM in response to Jyrki Kallio

Did you check the amount of free space on the iPad? You seem to have a pretty new model, so ‘disk full’ shouldn’t be an issue so soon, unless you download a lot to it. How to check the storage on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Rented content can be downloaded to one device at a time. If downloaded elsewhere, then it wouldn’t be downloadable on iPad. Downloads will be automatically removed after the rental period.

Rent movies from the Apple TV app - Apple Support

If the issue persists despite the above, then I would suggest to contact an expert from the Apple Support staff for further assistance. Contact Apple for support and service (phone numbers) or start your support request online (chat/​email/​callback).

Mar 1, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Jyrki Kallio

I am also having this same issue. I have been working with Apple support for over a month now. I have done everything Apple has me do, with them logged into my Ipad to see the error messages and nothing works.

Have you been able to resolve your issue? If yes, how?? Apple doesn't seem to have the solution for me and so far has not been willing to authorize a replacement, rendering my purchase to boat anchor status.

Apple TV, unable to download rented movies, can only download purchased ones

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.