Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music library issues - loss of some new songs but not all THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE! Please please help??

Hey folks. I don’t know how many times I have made attempts to search for the answers to my question and seem to come up with results answering everything EXCEPT for my question. Please help me if you can because I have lost months and months and months of hard work and it’s becoming a personal matter at this point…

my question is… Why is my Apple Music *mostly* reverting back to an older library after a restart of any kind or a force quit of either Apple Music? I have lost about 10 months of perfecting ALL of my library so the Artists are all under one name instead of variations, every album WAS in chronological order because I renamed every single one to have the year before it, all of the genres were uniform and not 10 made up subgenre… I had everything perfect and then apple decided to throw out some update, which stupid me decided to turn on automatic updates not realizing or being warned that would destroy 1000’s of hours of work I had spent renaming all of the songs I personally added to my Apple Music app. Not a single obe was downloaded from Apple Music/iTunes and I have Never and will NEVER pay for this worthless service. I paid $6000 for my MacBook Pro, there is absolutely no and I mean NO REASON I should have to pay another dime to Apple because they want to manipulate the situation via “bugs that need to be fixed” or “you need to sync all of your products across every platform” garbage. No, I paid $6000 for my computer to work how my other MacBook Pro laptops have worked and if they are incapable of providing me with a fully functioning laptop that suits incredibly basic needs then I will sever all financial ties with the company and move onto something that if I pay $6000 for a laptop to work, I EXPECT the ****** thing to work without customer service playing stupid as if no one’s music has EVER disappeared from their library ever. I already wasted 3 hours of my time with a customer service rep who was stupid enough to make me create an entirely different profile on my laptop so they could basically then tell me I needed To sync my library on my phone and laptop. They FAILED to mention that the only way you can do that is by paying additional money for a service I don’t want, have no use for and as I stated multiple times already refuse to pay more than the 6k this stupid electronic paperweight already cost me.

technical info:

macOS Big Sur version 11.6.4

not only is music disappearing, but it disappears from the physical library in the system but doesn’t disappear from the app, so there will be an exclamation point with a circle around it… forcing me to go find the stupid file and only 20% of the time can I actually get it to ask me if I want to use that folder to restore any other missing files. Some of these files I have just added. Sometimes it’s an entire album. Sometimes it’s only the first track.

Apple seems to do its best to cover this issue up or have the most generic cut and paste answers which serve no purpose other than to infuriate And distract its customers. The few times I have seen people ask similar questions the fault is deflected and the customer is then inundated with a multitude of questions and distraction tactics, never EVER just accepting a software fault and always passing the blame onto the customer.

Words cannot express how fed up I am with this crap. I used To be able to just save my library no problem. Now apparently because I don’t pay for the service I’m unable to save my freaking library!!!?? After paying what I paid For this stupid laptop I shouldn’t Have to pay more for the apps to work the way they’re intended. If they were intended to hold the ability for me to have a functioning 6k laptop ransom, then I’m done done done done with Apple. I can’t Even find an alternative to this awful app because searches offer little except for a few apps that aren’t really libraries.

if anyone has any help they can offer me to solve my issue with information I’ve provided I would greatly appreciate it. I’ve been a loyal Apple customer for nearly 20 years now and I would hate to sever ties, but if my ability to have a functioning laptop is being held for ransom so they can milk $120/year out of me...

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 3:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 5:54 AM

This is a user to user support forum. Apple's involvement is fairly light and scripted, but nobody here is trying to give you the runaround. I don't know why there are these issues with Music, but one possible factor is that any shared Music library is meant to be available whether you're running Music at the time or not. Similarly syncing is managed via Finder, again regardless of whether or not Music or other media apps are running. To this end there appears to be some form of caching of the library going on. I've seen hints that sometimes Music is connected to the cached copy of the library rather than the primary version in ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary. You might try option-starting Music and actively selecting this library, or your actual library if you have set it up elsewhere. If you haven't already done so set up Time Machine to cover the entire ~/Music folder and any other location where you may have media stored. That way you can restore the state of the library and/or media folder should things go wrong again.

Use Feedback - macOS - Apple to let Apple know what is going on. Document the details of the behaviour that you see as accurately and unemotively as possible.

tt2

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 5:54 AM in response to Dismalorb

This is a user to user support forum. Apple's involvement is fairly light and scripted, but nobody here is trying to give you the runaround. I don't know why there are these issues with Music, but one possible factor is that any shared Music library is meant to be available whether you're running Music at the time or not. Similarly syncing is managed via Finder, again regardless of whether or not Music or other media apps are running. To this end there appears to be some form of caching of the library going on. I've seen hints that sometimes Music is connected to the cached copy of the library rather than the primary version in ~/Music/Music/Music Library.musiclibrary. You might try option-starting Music and actively selecting this library, or your actual library if you have set it up elsewhere. If you haven't already done so set up Time Machine to cover the entire ~/Music folder and any other location where you may have media stored. That way you can restore the state of the library and/or media folder should things go wrong again.

Use Feedback - macOS - Apple to let Apple know what is going on. Document the details of the behaviour that you see as accurately and unemotively as possible.

tt2

Apple Music library issues - loss of some new songs but not all THIS IS DRIVING ME INSANE! Please please help??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.