Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem with 3TB Time capsule

I'm using MaOs 10.14.6 and my 3TB apple time capsule has become full and will not back up any further. It will not delete any of the old backups. The drive does not show up in Finder, but is grayed out in the Time Machine preference panel. It is also showing up as "Data- Airport Time Capsule.local" I have already set up a separate 8TB hard drive and backed up with time machine using that drive , but still want to use the time capsule.

How can I get it to be recognized and working again. I do get notifications that the drive has not been backed up in xxx days.

TIA

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 9:40 AM

Should I reformat the time capsule with disk utility?

It is not possible to erase / format the Time Capsule drive using Disk Utility. You would use AirPort Utility as I detailed above.

If the Quick Erase has completed correctly, then you can proceed. However, I would recommend that you use the Zero Out Data option for a much better quality erase, especially if you are now running Big Sur or Monterey on your Mac.

When the erase procedure has completed.......

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Remove the current drive.....named "Data" unless you have renamed the hard drive on the Time Capsule

Close the windows

Power off the Time Capsule

Restart your Mac

Power the Time Capsule back up

Open up Time Machine Preferences again and select the Time Capsule's hard drive

You have see a message that the hard drive has changed......(it has). Click to allow Time Machine to use the newly erased Time Capsule hard drive

Wait to see if Time Machine will start a new backup. You may see "Preparing" for a long time, because Time Machine has to take a slow look at all of the data on your Mac's hard drive....before.....the actual backup can begin. Let "Preparing" run until the backup completes or until you see an error message.

If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 9:40 AM in response to appleconvert22

Should I reformat the time capsule with disk utility?

It is not possible to erase / format the Time Capsule drive using Disk Utility. You would use AirPort Utility as I detailed above.

If the Quick Erase has completed correctly, then you can proceed. However, I would recommend that you use the Zero Out Data option for a much better quality erase, especially if you are now running Big Sur or Monterey on your Mac.

When the erase procedure has completed.......

Click on the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Remove the current drive.....named "Data" unless you have renamed the hard drive on the Time Capsule

Close the windows

Power off the Time Capsule

Restart your Mac

Power the Time Capsule back up

Open up Time Machine Preferences again and select the Time Capsule's hard drive

You have see a message that the hard drive has changed......(it has). Click to allow Time Machine to use the newly erased Time Capsule hard drive

Wait to see if Time Machine will start a new backup. You may see "Preparing" for a long time, because Time Machine has to take a slow look at all of the data on your Mac's hard drive....before.....the actual backup can begin. Let "Preparing" run until the backup completes or until you see an error message.

If an error message appears, post back with the exact text of the message.

Feb 26, 2022 8:15 AM in response to appleconvert22

How can I get it to be recognized and working again.

Erase the Time Capsule hard drive and start over again with new backups. Chances are, you will never need all the old backups on the Time Capsule from months and even years going back in time, especially if you been backing up to another hard drive.

If you cannot bear to erase the old backups, there is way to copy all the data on the Time Capsule hard drive over to another USB drive connected to the Time Capsule. But, very few users ever find that they need the old backups.

If you are planning to hold onto the Time Capsule, you can try the much faster Quick Erase, which will only take a few minutes. If you plan to sell or give the Time Capsule to another user, use the Zero Out Data option for a secure erase, which will probably take 10-12 hours or more.

If you have the time, I would recommend the Zero Out Data option, even if you plan to hold onto the Time Capsule.

Open AirPort Utility on your Mac (Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility)

Click on the Time Capsule, then click Edit in the smaller window that appear

Click the Disks tab at the top of the AirPort Utility window

Click Erase Disk

Select either the Quick Erase or Zero Out Data option depending on your needs

Click Erase

Problem with 3TB Time capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.