Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External monitor dimming related to displayed content

Hi there.

My MBP M1 Pro 14” (macOS 12.2.1) does some kind of automatic adjustment of light intensity on my external screen.

When the screen displays content with mostly light/bright colours the intensity is high (= the setting I have chosen). When I go to content with mostly blacks and few light colours (= less light on the display) it visibly further dims the screen.

This does not happen on the built-in screen. Does anyone know what is going on, if I can change this in some setting somewhere?

This is not related to the “Automatically Adjust Brightness” setting - that box is present in settings for the built-in screen, but not for the external one.

TIA, best regards - Ole

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:31 PM

The options vary according to the model of the Dell monitor. I have two different models, one used in my office, and one used at home. Dynamic Contrast is one of those options, but there are others, including one called Auto Adjust. Some of these options are only available with certain types of connecting cables. I would go through all the options with those buttons and try different ones to see which works best for you. I don't see the problem on either of those monitors that you are having with your setup.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 26, 2022 12:31 PM in response to Elvis Boy

The options vary according to the model of the Dell monitor. I have two different models, one used in my office, and one used at home. Dynamic Contrast is one of those options, but there are others, including one called Auto Adjust. Some of these options are only available with certain types of connecting cables. I would go through all the options with those buttons and try different ones to see which works best for you. I don't see the problem on either of those monitors that you are having with your setup.

External monitor dimming related to displayed content

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.