Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

big sur ms word grant access problem

I recently upgraded my 2016 iMac to Big Sur. I'm running MS Word 16.58 as well as the whole Office/Outlook suite. Every time I save an MS Word document, I get a two-step request to grant access. Also, when I try to use the Open Recent function I get a message that I don't have access. I've scoured the MS and Apple message boards, tried repairs on other forums. Nothing. Can someone help me out? Thanks.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 12:56 PM

9 replies

Feb 26, 2022 2:48 PM in response to nicx

Is the top folder located in your Home folder or on the hard drive as pictured here:

My boot drive is titled Toad Hall. Since Catalina that portion of the boot drive can't have any files or folders added or saved to it. Did you upgrade from Mojave to Big Sur? You'll need to copy those folders from their current location to your Documents folder and operator from there.

Feb 26, 2022 2:39 PM in response to Old Toad

They are not in my Documents folder. A typical path would be Drive-->Folder-->Subfolder-->Subfolder-->Document. Folders are arranged by work task and may contain MS Word files, PPTs, PDFs, JPEGs, MP4s, etc. This has been the arrangement of my files all along. It's only with this upgrade that it seems to create a problem.

Feb 26, 2022 4:34 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi. Yes, my boot drive, Dungenesse Crab, is accessible through System-->Volumes. So, I would copy the next level down, which is all of my operational folders (my work files, essentially) into the Documents folder located in the Users-->[my name] folder? Or do I use the Documents folder in Shared? And, having copied them in (which seems like a monumental task...they run about 400GB...do I then delete them from Volumes, or simply always access them through the Documents folder? And, this is going to clear up the Microsoft permissions issues I've been having?

Sorry for being so dense about this and asking so many questions, and thank you for patiently walking me through it.

big sur ms word grant access problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.