Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail and getting the spinning wheel.

I'm trying to add a gmail account, but when I do, it just does this spinning wheel. Any solutions? Works to add other types of accounts. I can add a Gmail account to my iOS devices.

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 8:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 11, 2022 3:32 AM

OK, I found a solution that worked for me (Big Sir BTW).

I changed default Browser from Chrome to Safari and it worked first time. Ironic that a Gmail sign in didn't work on Chrome I know but it worked for me.

15 replies

Feb 26, 2022 9:28 PM in response to redletters2

redletters2 Said:

"Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail and getting the spinning wheel." I'm trying to add a gmail account, but when I do, it just does this spinning wheel. Any solutions? Works to add other types of accounts. I can add a Gmail account to my iOS devices."

-------

Boot in Safe Mode:

Apparently, the Mail app is not connecting to Google's mail servers. Ao, try adding this while in Safe Mode. In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, try adding this back For instructions, go here: How to Use Safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

Jun 6, 2022 4:29 PM in response to thegrip

thegrip Said:

"Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail and getting the spinning wheel.: I had the same issue and spent days trying to figure it out. Then changed my default browser from Chrome to Safari, then went through the process again. Solved it immediately![…]

———-

Inform and Ask Fellow Google Users:

Post on Google’s forums about this, seeing what fellow users have to say on this. Perhaps there is much to be read about on there?:

1. Go Here: Google Account Help - Google
  2. Scroll Down: to the bottom of the page
  3. Click the following:

Apr 11, 2022 3:24 AM in response to TheLittles

I have the exact same issue. Clicking on the GMail icon when trying to add an account opens the box with spinning wheel icon then opens the default browser (Chrome in my case). Chrome opens and shows the default opening page but never opens the Google login window.

I've tried in Safe mode but get the same result.

Also, once Chrome opens I can't switch to any other application, it just flicks right back to Chrome.

Frankly it's driving me nuts.

Trying to add Gmail account to Apple Mail and getting the spinning wheel.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.