Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CPU is getting warm after monterey update 12.2.1

Hi,

Soon after working on my macbook air m1 2020 for 15 minutes, light surfing and low applications like calender todoist, cpu temperature reaches 97-102 C. I dont know why this is happening but this was not always the case. Any help?

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Feb 26, 2022 11:44 PM

Similar questions

14 replies

Feb 27, 2022 6:30 AM in response to hrithiknaha

1 - Suggest restarting in Safe Mode. This will perform a Disk Repair, clear cache files and only load Apple Software, extensions and fonts. The boot up will be slow and can take some time - Normal.

2 - Does the issue present in this mode ?

3 - If not - there could be something in the main User Account playing up. To further isolate this - Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac. Then log out of the Main User account and log into the dummy account and test again if the issue persists.

4 - If the issue is present in the dummy account - then this appears to be a System Wide issue.

5 - Suggest downloading the Application Etrecheck directly from a well Respected ASC Contributor. And Safe to use.

The application is free or paid from added features. 

Run the application with Full Disc Access ( Security & Privacy - Full Disc Access ).

It will take a Snap Shot -  both the hardware and software.

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last )

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues.

Any Third Party Applications that will interfere with the normal operation of the OS, alter, modify, remove or delete or attempt to do so is an invitation for disaster and may require a Reinstallation of the OS.

Any of the below should be removed as per Developers Instructions 

This includes AntiVirus, Disk Cleaners, Disk Optimizes, UnInstaller etc.

This will include CleanMyMac , This will include BitDefender

This will included Norton Antivirus , Sophos Av Software

Intego AntiVirus, McAfee, MacKeeper, Avast AntiVirus

Ad Guard, Webroot

The The Built in Security  is all that is required.

Feb 27, 2022 5:20 AM in response to hrithiknaha

The kernel_host is controlling all other processes of the operating system, so it will reside near the top of the activity manager CPU column. As was stated, you don't have a fan in that M1 Air to help expel the heat, so that unit needs to be on a hard surface that can radiate heat away from it.

Regardless of what browser you use other than Chrome, each opened tab (or window) is additional processes that require more CPU demand and hence, more heat.

Mar 22, 2022 3:01 AM in response to PRP_53

I have the same problem since "upgrading" to Monterey. MacBook Pro 2018, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB drive.

I used TG-Pro to create my own fan curve and let TG-Pro ran the fans. Works fine, most of the time. Monterey wants to run the fans at 6,000+ RPM all the time.

Like other users, I am doing nothing that would or should stress the CPU. But there is nothing I can do when the CPU load spokes and triggers Core Duet, that launches Kernel-Task and starts to throttle my machine. Audio gets choppy, video freezes, keyboard stops responding, meanwhile the temperature sensors are all nominal. If I could fund a way to remove or disable kernel-task, my machine would likely actually run cool and quiet.

Everything worked great under Big Sur, and I am so sorry I upgraded to an OS that is designed to use low heat, no fans, M-1 processors.

Well, I don't have an M-1, I have Intel processors for the foreseeable future. Either my hardware is broken or Apple's software is broken.

So far, I have read all the well-meaning advice, and none of it is a bit useful. There is nothing wrong with your SMC, nothing wrong with your fans, third-party apps are not the problem either.

Firefox may be part of the problem as with all its compartments and fences, it uses a ton of CPU.

Something unknown is loading the CPU but not raising the temperatures high enough on any sensor. The computer thinks it is overheating and seeks to throttle itself when, in fact, everything is running within Intel's chip specification for temperature.

BTW, the Built-In Security is NOT all that is needed. The built-in security doesn't stop ads.

CPU is getting warm after monterey update 12.2.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.