Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro echo/crackling/popping audio/sound issue

MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018) High Sierra 10.13.6 (17G14033)

I've suffered from this echo/crackling/popping audio/sound issue that is widely reported online for a good 10 years and have had it carry through multiple osx versions, and multiple macbooks via time machine. I gave up on trying to fix it but it drives me absolutely nuts and I'm desperate for a solution.

It appears always after streaming or playing anything for 45-55mins approximately. Can be netflix, youtube, soundcloud, watching a video via vlc or other programs, playing a mix in itunes, using traktor dj, using ableton. Anything using audio for 45-55mins straight.

I've tried many things but the only temporary fix I've found is to quit 'coreaudiod' in the activity monitor. This is obviously a pain as it comes back after another 45mins and has meant I can never use my laptop properly for live music or performance situations has been really frustrating. It happens both with and without using a portable soundcard.

In the past when I was using the most up to date osx I asked apple but just got past around with rubbing. Since I've always just been told to update my osx and they won't help me unless I do that. The issue is, like many, lots of my plugins for my music app Ableton 9 and the program itself (used in years of my music projects) won't work in anything after high sierra due to it using 64bit as apposed to 32bit. So it is not possible for me to do this. I've even had to buy an older 'refurbished' macbook over the latest brand new ones to keep all these files still useable. Aside from this, as mentioned this has been an issue that has carried over through osx versions and my other mac laptops via my time machine and upon searching, this issue still seems to be happening to people even with new osx versions anyway.

I've searched high and low for a fix and had given up but figured I'd try and bring this up once more to incase someone has worked out a resolution as I'm desperate and just straight up sick of it. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 7:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 7:23 PM

To me it sounds like you are using some third party audio software which may include audio drivers. These third party audio drivers may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Try booting into Safe Mode to see if you have the same problem since Safe Mode disables third party drivers.

You should also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem (or perhaps two devices connected at the same time are causing a problem).

Try using a grounded AC cord with the power adapter for your laptop instead of the default duckhead adapter which Apple supplies. It is possible you may have an electrical wiring issue in your home or with a surge/power strip. Here is the grounded AC cord for the US region, but each region has their own version for the correct plug to fit the electrical outlet.

Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

Also make sure all connected devices are connected to the same electrical circuit. If you plug in the power cords to two different electrical outlets even if they are in the same room, those electrical outlets may be on a different electric circuit (aka powered by a different circuit breaker/fuse and also that circuit may be incorrectly wired). If this happens, it can introduce audio noise.

Or maybe you just have really bad luck with the Apple built-in speakers. Have you tried using external speakers or headphones to confirm the issue is not with the laptop's built-in speakers?

There has to be something with your location, or setup which is causing the problem.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 7:23 PM in response to simon_l_b

To me it sounds like you are using some third party audio software which may include audio drivers. These third party audio drivers may be interfering with the normal operation of macOS. Try booting into Safe Mode to see if you have the same problem since Safe Mode disables third party drivers.

You should also try disconnecting all external devices in case one of them is causing a problem (or perhaps two devices connected at the same time are causing a problem).

Try using a grounded AC cord with the power adapter for your laptop instead of the default duckhead adapter which Apple supplies. It is possible you may have an electrical wiring issue in your home or with a surge/power strip. Here is the grounded AC cord for the US region, but each region has their own version for the correct plug to fit the electrical outlet.

Power Adapter Extension Cable - Apple

Also make sure all connected devices are connected to the same electrical circuit. If you plug in the power cords to two different electrical outlets even if they are in the same room, those electrical outlets may be on a different electric circuit (aka powered by a different circuit breaker/fuse and also that circuit may be incorrectly wired). If this happens, it can introduce audio noise.

Or maybe you just have really bad luck with the Apple built-in speakers. Have you tried using external speakers or headphones to confirm the issue is not with the laptop's built-in speakers?

There has to be something with your location, or setup which is causing the problem.

Mar 7, 2022 12:14 AM in response to HWTech

Thank you so much HWTech!

I had tried all those things amongst many more, many times, spoken on the phone/online to apple many times for hours, even taken it into the store but at this point I think you have finally helped me cure it. As mentioned, this has been a real burden to me for a good 10 years now more than you can imagine.

I believe it came down old ghost audio drivers from as far back as 2011 even still secretly hidden all through my system. Whilst I'd correctly uninstalled them in the past and deleted from the obvious places within the library etc (app support and preferences), I went back on a really deep search through every single hidden folder/osx and still found some remanences around like .kext files and other things, so I deleted anything relating to audio that wasn't mac (for me specifically old M-audio drivers, anything by Native Instruments including Audio 4 & 6 Drivers and Traktor and then deleted/reinstalled my current sound card afterwards by Apogee).

I haven't tried recording or playing music for long enough yet but have made it through 3 movies, dj mixes and netflix without the problem which has never been possible for more than 45mins at a time so I think it may be all clear.

Thank you so much!!

Macbook Pro echo/crackling/popping audio/sound issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.