Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

chrome & brave browser - continue where you left off not working

Hi everyone

Very new to macOS, on a Macbook air M1 with monterey.

I've installed Chrome and Brave browsers, and can't get the "Continue where you left off" option to work..

(It's the option to return to the exact same tabs one has open after having closed and relaunched the browser.)

I am not sure if I have caused this myself, as I installed an app called redquits (http://www.carsten-mielke.com/redquits.html) at one point which made the red button fully quit an app - to "mimic" the windows functionality.

I have since uninstalled it, but the issue remains.

I have also tried

• creating a new admin user
  • erasing & resetting the entire system
  • reinstalling monterey completely (the recovery method with starting the laptop with the power button pushed)

The issue remains.

Can someone please help me get this functionality back?

Many thanks!

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 2:11 PM

romanos wrote:

ALSO just noticed that if I quit a browser with command+Q instead of witht the red button, then the function works and all tabs come up!

Yes, that's how it's supposed to work. So it seems you don't need to do anything. :)

Similar questions

9 replies

Feb 28, 2022 12:08 PM in response to romanos

Hey romanos,

It appears that you're having a problem with Google Chrome and the Brave browsers on your Mac. The "Continue where you left off" feature isn't working in either, and we're glad to provide assistance.

We took a look at the app you installed, and thought you'd like to know the Mac method to quit applications completely. We particularly like the Command-Q option: Quit apps on Mac - Apple Support

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support -- Restart your Mac in safe mode and see if that feature works in both apps. Once you're finished testing, just restart your Mac normally to exit safe mode. Please be aware: "When you start up in safe mode, your Mac prevents some software, such as startup items, from loading, and it performs a check of your startup disk. Your Mac may take longer to start up because of the check."

If the tabs open correctly while in safe mode, see if they open as they should now.

If "Continue where you left off" doesn't work while in safe mode, or stops after restarting your Mac normally, please get in touch with each developer for help with this issue:

Google Chrome Help

Brave Community

All the best.

Feb 28, 2022 1:34 PM in response to dialabrain

Hi dialabrain

Thanks for confirming - a friend had told me that his CWYLO also worked on his macbook air - hence my bringing this up.

I'm not sure if I did migrate anyhthing to be honest - still very much a mac newbie unfortunately.

I didn't use any Time Machine backups. I DID notice that upon reinstalling monterey with the recovery that the original profile was already there with iCloud logged in etc - not sure if that migrated anything?

I'm a little desperate at this point so considering a complete hard disk wipe and reinstall from USB - in hoping this will help bring everything back to the ACTUAL ORIGINAL situation..

I would just have to ensure somehow that notheing gets migrated with iCloud...

Any thoughts?

Many thanks

chrome & brave browser - continue where you left off not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.