Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

BaseSystem.dmg.x86.trustcache.j###ap.im4m

So I've been trying to deal with some often suspicious files that keep recreating themselves after deleting them to the point I decided to do a complete drive wipe and clean install. However the only other mac I have is old and capped at High Sierra and I need to install Monterey.

So I created the Bootable USB on the same Macbook Pro 2015 that is giving me the issues.

Upon installing, on an external drive 1st to boot and run macos off an external drive, I unmounted the built in to avoid any phishy stuff. However after 30mins of installing on external, it failed saying;

"index.sproduct couldn't be opened"

After it goes back to the Diagnostics select window, and I return to Disk Utility,

A new Disk (not there before) appears called:

Apple UDIF read-only Media

with a volume named: "Shared Support"

What is this disk and volume?

Why does it appear as read only?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 3:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 4:38 PM

So I've been trying to deal with some often suspicious files that keep recreating themselves

You mean the BaseSystem.dmg.x86.trustcache.j###ap.im4m files?

Those are not suspicious files. The are part of the operating system. This was explicitly stated by an Apple support engineer in this question on the Developer forums.

Stop wasting time with the bootable USB. Just erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from the internet as instructed here: How to reinstall macOS

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 4:38 PM in response to CONCEPT-Chrys.

So I've been trying to deal with some often suspicious files that keep recreating themselves

You mean the BaseSystem.dmg.x86.trustcache.j###ap.im4m files?

Those are not suspicious files. The are part of the operating system. This was explicitly stated by an Apple support engineer in this question on the Developer forums.

Stop wasting time with the bootable USB. Just erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system from the internet as instructed here: How to reinstall macOS

BaseSystem.dmg.x86.trustcache.j###ap.im4m

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.