Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

COnfused about iCloud storage

I'm trying to upgrade my software, and after downloading, I get a message that I need another 18 G of space.

I have 500 Gb drive, of which about 300 Gb shows as being on iCloud. My understanding is that if it is on iCloud, it should not be taking up space on my computer.

What is iCloud all about if not on the CLoud? I've already gone in & deleted lots & lots of stuff, but don't know how to get what is on iCloud off my computer and onto the Cloud.

When I put something on my desktop, looking at my desktop says Desktop - iCloud.

How do I clear out the drive? I'm confused.

Thanks

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 3:35 AM

The primary purpose of iCloud Drive is to use iCloud as a central storage for syncing your documents and data between your devices and keeping the documents and data on all your devices identical. So, by default, your files will be in iCloud and mirrored on all your devices.

To save storage with iCloud, enabled the option "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Drive.

Have you already enabled the option "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Drive?

Then the System should automatically free some storage, when you are running low on storage. It will remove local download from your Mac for files you have not used in a long time. This is fully automatic.

If the system is not freeing enough storage, you can remove additional downloads by ctrl-clicking a large file and using the command "Remove Download". But do not delete any files you want to keep in iCloud, only use "Remove download".

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 3:35 AM in response to gwesq

The primary purpose of iCloud Drive is to use iCloud as a central storage for syncing your documents and data between your devices and keeping the documents and data on all your devices identical. So, by default, your files will be in iCloud and mirrored on all your devices.

To save storage with iCloud, enabled the option "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Drive.

Have you already enabled the option "Optimize Mac Storage" for iCloud Drive?

Then the System should automatically free some storage, when you are running low on storage. It will remove local download from your Mac for files you have not used in a long time. This is fully automatic.

If the system is not freeing enough storage, you can remove additional downloads by ctrl-clicking a large file and using the command "Remove Download". But do not delete any files you want to keep in iCloud, only use "Remove download".

Feb 28, 2022 7:55 AM in response to gwesq

gwesq wrote:

THANK YOU.
Yes - Optimize Mac Storage has been turned on. So that doesn't help.
Also, IF I log onto icloud, I do NOT see most of the files & folders that are showing as being in iCloud on my computer. All I see there under iCloud are a few pdf files. So where is everything that is supposedly on iCloud?

Still confused.

When you log into iCloud at www.icloud.com are you using the same AppleID as in the iCloud System Preferences on your Mac?

When you look at iCloud Drive on your Finder, are you seeing any cloud icons behind the files and folders, showing the status? For example like this? Are there any crossed out clouds? Or clouds with dashed outlines?

Feb 28, 2022 7:39 AM in response to léonie

THANK YOU.

Yes - Optimize Mac Storage has been turned on. So that doesn't help.

In looking at my files, I have nothing bigger than about 5 Gigs, and only a few files are even in G size - most are teen numbers of MB.

The few large files I have are files that Lightroom uses, and I'm afraid if I move them, it will mess us Lightroom. But even doing that frees up only about 10 - 15 G. My storage is showing only 25 available out of 500, with 300 on iCloud!

Also, IF I log onto icloud, I do NOT see most of the files & folders that are showing as being in iCloud on my computer. All I see there under iCloud are a few pdf files. So where is everything that is supposedly on iCloud?

Still confused.

Feb 28, 2022 8:04 AM in response to léonie

Same log in

Yes - there is a cloud just to the left of the "iCloud" in the FInder, and then it shows the files that show up when I log on to iCloud, PLUS it shows two folders, one labelled DESKTOP and the other labelled DOCUMENTS. These are the folders where almost all the files are. These folders do NOT show when I log onto iCloud.

THanks again

COnfused about iCloud storage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.