Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permission to share documents to an external hard drive on mid-2012 MacBook Air

Every time I make a new file in any format of apple products or Microsoft, I have to go through hoops to get it to go on my WD 2 TB external hard drive. In Pages, and other apple apps it tells me to go into finder but I don't know what to do after that. Is there an easier way to give myself permission to send it to my hard drive? I have a 2012 MacBook Air.

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 5:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 2:07 AM

Hi MarisaLedesma875,

Ah, I see. when you get to 'get info' at the bottom of the window, you should see sharing and permissions: if it is not open, click the arrow to the left of this and it should then show the accounts that have permitions below, one should be yours and one or more will say read and write this is what you would need to move the file.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 2:07 AM in response to MarisaLedesma875

Hi MarisaLedesma875,

Ah, I see. when you get to 'get info' at the bottom of the window, you should see sharing and permissions: if it is not open, click the arrow to the left of this and it should then show the accounts that have permitions below, one should be yours and one or more will say read and write this is what you would need to move the file.

Feb 28, 2022 6:07 AM in response to MarisaLedesma875

Hi MarisaLedesma875,

I think you are trying to save your work to an external hard drive?

If this is the case you can in the apps you use when clicking save as you can then navigate to the hard drive and folders on the drive and save to that location directly.

Or you can save it to the documents folder or desktop then move it from one of these folders to the hard drive by copy and pasting or having two finder windows open and dragging the files you need over.

Feb 28, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Mr Leo Sir

What I meant was when I make a document on, say Pages, I want to save it to my external hard drive. When I try, it tells me I don’t have permission to move it and it tells me “*file name* couldn’t be moved because you don’t have permission to access My passport for Mac.” Then in smaller font it says “To view or change permissions, select the item in the Finder and choose file>get info.” After I do that, I don’t know what to do.

Permission to share documents to an external hard drive on mid-2012 MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.