Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File Sharing - New MacBook Air from iMac

Hello everyone. I just received my new MacBook Air. I have file sharing enabled and am on my home network, connecting by signing in with iCloud credentials. So my issue is, I am working in a designer program and my assets are on my External drive, attached to my iMac. When I try to access files on the External Drive, I receive this message. The Operation can't be completed because the original item for External Easy Store cannot be found. I have made sure that the permissions are correct. Please see second screenshot. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Beverly

Running Big Sur on both machines

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.2

Posted on Feb 16, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 18, 2021 1:32 PM

Hi there webgypsy,

We understand you're encountering an issue with File Sharing from a drive attached externally to one of your Macs. The following page offers information on the subject that might be helpful: Set up file sharing on Mac

To help isolate the behavior, have you tested to see whether you're able to share files stored locally on the Mac? If you physically connect the drive to other Mac, are files accessible from it?

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 18, 2021 1:32 PM in response to webgypsy

Hi there webgypsy,

We understand you're encountering an issue with File Sharing from a drive attached externally to one of your Macs. The following page offers information on the subject that might be helpful: Set up file sharing on Mac

To help isolate the behavior, have you tested to see whether you're able to share files stored locally on the Mac? If you physically connect the drive to other Mac, are files accessible from it?

Cheers!

File Sharing - New MacBook Air from iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.