Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Monterey File sharing

Something is different with Monterey. I was able to share with two other computers in High Sierra. I upgraded to Monterey and suddenly several folders (mainline-applications.. desktop.. documents) are no longer available. I went to sharing on the Monterey computer and opened it to all users (main user file and each folder... files... folders.. media).

There is a problem here with the update. I see several responses talking about computer names, and permissions.... but something in Monterey is making sharing difficult. I have to move items into a public folder in the Monterey in able to share.

Solutions?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 11:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 6:23 AM

The people who could patch whatever is wrong are not here.

My suggestion wasn’t a workaround. It was an effort to troubleshoot, but that doesn’t sound like you want to resolve the problem.

Networking is different in Monterey. Specifically, AFP isn’t an option. The security model has also changed to protect your data from access by applications that didn’t create the documents. Sharing out your home folder has always been troublesome. I imagine the security model doesn’t improve those things.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 16, 2022 6:23 AM in response to mcvaus

The people who could patch whatever is wrong are not here.

My suggestion wasn’t a workaround. It was an effort to troubleshoot, but that doesn’t sound like you want to resolve the problem.

Networking is different in Monterey. Specifically, AFP isn’t an option. The security model has also changed to protect your data from access by applications that didn’t create the documents. Sharing out your home folder has always been troublesome. I imagine the security model doesn’t improve those things.

Jan 16, 2022 4:48 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you for the suggested work around. I will give it a try (as I mentioned earlier one can move items to a public folder to share too).

But this misses the point. There are several threads/conversations about this sharing problem in Monterey with some members suggesting it is user error. My effort is aimed at saying there is indeed something in the OS that has changed sharing. Hopefully the OS folks are listening and a patch (or instructions on settings) is coming.

Thanks again.

Monterey File sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.