Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro on Monterey will not share files

I have just replaced a 2013 Pro with a MacBook M1 14" Pro. All my master files are kept on the Pro. When it is in use I use an M1 MacBook Air on Monterey and work on the master files using Sharing. I also have an Intel MacMini on Monterey which also had no issue accessing all the files on the old 2013 Pro. Since getting the replacement M1 Pro, I have found that Sharing does not work. I can access the Pro from both the Air and Mini Finder Go menu, sign on as Administrator, and see the root folders including Desktop. When selecting and opening the Desktop file, nothing appears - it will not access the required files.

The Pro will successfully access all files on both the Air and the Mini. I therefore assume that the issue is the new M1 MacBook Pro as it is the only Mac that will not allow others to access the files in the desktop folder. I have tried smb//*.* and the same thing happens - I access the full MacPro disk, I can access the root folders, but it will not provide access to the Desktop files. I do not use FileVault so this is not the issue. Does anyone have any suggestion as to how this can be fixed - or is it a fault with the new MacBook Pro?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.4

Posted on Jul 3, 2022 10:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2022 5:51 AM

Assuming you are using the default SMB filing protocol, you need to add smbd to Full Disk Access in the Privacy pane of Security & Privacy System Preferences.

A better solution would be to store the "master" files in a folder in /Users/Shared and not allow access to your home folders. It may only be you who tries to access your files, but opening it up allows some future (zero-day) hack to also have easy access to your files.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 4, 2022 5:51 AM in response to kwmacs

Assuming you are using the default SMB filing protocol, you need to add smbd to Full Disk Access in the Privacy pane of Security & Privacy System Preferences.

A better solution would be to store the "master" files in a folder in /Users/Shared and not allow access to your home folders. It may only be you who tries to access your files, but opening it up allows some future (zero-day) hack to also have easy access to your files.

Jul 4, 2022 4:24 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thank you! I am very grateful for this information. I did not know about the requirement for this system file; I checked both my M1 Air and Intel Mini and found that their Full Disk Access contained this file, even though I never put this in the full disk access list and did not know it existed. I could not find the smbd file, but then I then found the item Trying to Add smbd back to Full Disk Acce… - Apple Community

This located the file along with how to instal it (drag and drop worked). All files on the M1 Pro are now accessible.

I assume the selection of sharing automatically installed this file into Full Disk Access on the other machines, but did not do this for whatever reason on the M1 Pro.

M1 MacBook Pro on Monterey will not share files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.