Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration

I followed exactly and after 12 hours of supposedly transfer, it said it would take 1257 hours to transfer. What should I do?

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 8:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 9:04 AM

wildwoodgad wrote:

I followed exactly and after 12 hours of supposedly transfer, it said it would take 1257 hours to transfer. What should I do?

try a cable connection and compare your results

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 9:04 AM in response to wildwoodgad

wildwoodgad wrote:

try a cable connection and compare your results

The most trouble free way to move to a new machine, is using the Setup Assistant on the initial boot of a brand new machine— you have one shot here. https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205749

The second best way is use the Migration Assistant.

How to move your content to a new Mac Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Feb 28, 2022 9:05 AM in response to wildwoodgad

wildwoodgad Said:

"Migration: I followed exactly and after 12 hours of supposedly transfer, it said it would take 1257 hours to transfer. What should I do?"

-------

What's the Source of the Data?:

Using iCloud?:

How exactly are you transferring the data? If grabbing it off of iCloud, it might take a while for a large size hard drive.

Do Either of the Following...

A. Use Migration Assistant:

Backup your current Mac with a Time Machine Backup, and then then use Migration Assistant to transfer it to your new Mac in a matter of minutes.

B. Grab in Clusters:

If you were to transfer data over manually, you'd grab it in clusters (gather it in to folders, and then transfer using a USB Flash Drive),

Feb 28, 2022 3:18 PM in response to wildwoodgad

wildwoodgad Said:

"Thank you, the source was transferring from my 2020 MacBookPro to my 2021 M1 MacBookPro. Migration Assistant didn't work. Is there a way to use Thunderbolt and migration assistant? I have 500 gb, and this is a business computer. Need it to work."

-------

You are welcome.

Yes. Do so in Target Disk Mode --the other Mac would bee seen as a folder on your Desktop.

Feb 28, 2022 3:58 PM in response to TheLittles

wildwoodgad Said:

"[...]I have 500 gb, and this is a business computer. Need it to work."

-------

Migrate in Compressed Batches:

Create multiple folders > Compress the folders > Transfer the files to the new computer(i.e. via a flash drive) > Decompress the files on the new computer > move them to their designated locations.

About Compressing:

As a result of compressing a folder of files, a ZIP file is made. Such files have a minimized storage-size, and therefore have a faster DTR when being uploaded or downloaded

Go Here for More: Compress or Uncompress files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

Migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.