Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacOS apps run natively on M1 Apple Silicon?

I've just got an M1 Mac and have transferred my apps and files over from my old non M1 Mac. I've gone to About This Mac and I'm looking at the list of Applications and the 'Kind'.

Many are 'Universal' - what does that mean? Does that mean the app will run natively on Apple M1 computers, without Rosetta 2?

Some are 'Intel' - which I presume means they will need Rosetta 2 to work?

I have some that I don't know what they are which are '32 bit unsupported' which I should try and find and delete.

Some other apps are 'Other' and again I'm not too sure what they are either.

There is only one App 'Rosetta 2 Updater' which is Apple Silicon.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM

Sparky Marky wrote:

Many are 'Universal' - what does that mean? Does that mean the app will run natively on Apple M1 computers, without Rosetta 2?

Yes.

Probably. When you try to launch an App that requires Rosetta 2 it will prompt you to download and install it. You don't need to do so on your own. Just run your apps normally. If anything requires Rosetta it will let you know and download it for you.

I have some that I don't know what they are which are '32 bit unsupported' which I should try and find and delete.

Yes. 32 bit apps will not run on M1 Macs at all.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 28, 2022 9:15 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Sparky Marky wrote:

Yes.

Probably. When you try to launch an App that requires Rosetta 2 it will prompt you to download and install it. You don't need to do so on your own. Just run your apps normally. If anything requires Rosetta it will let you know and download it for you.

Yes. 32 bit apps will not run on M1 Macs at all.

Feb 28, 2022 9:28 AM in response to Sparky Marky

Droplets are short scripts from Automator that process files dropped into them. They should continue to work natively. The other apps there are different things. Wether they work or not, or you need them for anything will only be determined by your regular workflow.

The Adobe updater for instance would be used to update Adobe Acrobat application. Should no longer be necessary with Adobe CC.

You don't need to worry about them unless something doesn't work correctly.

MacOS apps run natively on M1 Apple Silicon?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.