Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air seems to overheat and turn the loud fan on a lot

The past week when I power on my computer it gives me an error message saying I shut my computer down because of a problem and would I like to open the apps I had opened? When I did not shut it down because of a problem and all my apps were already closed. Then this morning on the log-in screen half the screen was grey and only a sliver on the side showed my background photo. I tried restarting my computer, updating the software, and force quitting finder but nothing seems to resolve these issues.

This is probably unrelated, but it seems to overheat and turn the loud fan on a lot when I'm doing small tasks on applications like Word, PowerPoint, and Safari and have to exit out of the application for it to cool down again.

Thanks to anyone that has any suggestions!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 11:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 11:19 AM

Nothing in particular stands out, but your Mac is obviously crashing for some reason.

Audibly objectionable fan noise is not normal. Determine if you can correlate that Mac's unusual fan activity with an app or process or that excessively burdens its CPU: View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support. You can sort that column by %CPU in descending order to determine which apps or processes are most active.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) is justified if you are unable to correlate the fan activity to anything in particular.

Read About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 11:19 AM in response to lee_a12

Nothing in particular stands out, but your Mac is obviously crashing for some reason.

Audibly objectionable fan noise is not normal. Determine if you can correlate that Mac's unusual fan activity with an app or process or that excessively burdens its CPU: View CPU activity in Activity Monitor on Mac - Apple Support. You can sort that column by %CPU in descending order to determine which apps or processes are most active.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) is justified if you are unable to correlate the fan activity to anything in particular.

Read About fans and fan noise in your Apple product - Apple Support.

My MacBook Air seems to overheat and turn the loud fan on a lot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.