Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safari Bookmarks and Reading list not syncing between MacOS and iOS.

Hi,

has anyone come across this issue?

I have a Macbook (MacOS 12.2.1) and iPhone (iOS 15.3.1) and it seems everything besides Safari Bookmarks and Reading Lists are syncing.

Same browse history? Yes.

Same open tabs? Yes.

I've tried turning off iCloud on both devices, deleting the bookmarks off of iPhone, restarting and turning everything back but to no avail.

After deleting the bookmarks on the phone, the bookmarks don't seem to come back and only the history and open tabs keep syncing.

What do I do now?

iPhone 13, iOS 15

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 8:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 28, 2022 9:12 PM

Spot on. As a last resort before I came back to respond to yours again... I turned off my VPN and tried one test bookmark. There's the answer. Everything syncs within a minute.

I guess I have to share this with the VPN provider.

Thanks!

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 28, 2022 8:24 PM in response to MrHoffman

Just as I go to respond, I see the bookmarks and reading list finally synced but still not up-to-date.

I tested with one bookmark 20 minutes ago by adding it on my Mac Safari, which has since been deleted, and that one just showed up on my phone.

But the browsing history and open tabs does stay up-to-date.

It seems the only option to available for Apple Support for this issue is through phone call but that isn't available now.

Feb 28, 2022 8:32 PM in response to ericc14

If you’re on a slow(er) network link, the sync can take a while.

As you’ve already done the rest of the usual steps to placate iCloud, you’re left with a discussion with Apple, if the bookmarks don’t re-sync.

If there’s an add-on VPN app, or an add-on security app, disable that, and see if the behavior and performance improve.

Mar 1, 2022 7:40 AM in response to ericc14

Remove the VPN, or host your own VPN server.

Based on past breaches and data leaks from commercial half-connection VPN services, too many VPN services actually implement what they claim to protect you from; data collection and tracking and logging. Various of those that claimed they didn't log data were found to log data.

VPNs into your own hosted VPN server, or VPNs that connect directly into the target network are appropriate. Commercial VPN services that too often centralize your network traffic for easier collection and logging and as fodder for advertisements and resale, well, I'm exceedingly skeptical.

Safari Bookmarks and Reading list not syncing between MacOS and iOS.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.