Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail stuck "moving messages" to account folders with Mail rules

Hi,

I'm on macOS Monterey 12.2.1 and have a problem with the built-in Mail app. I use a lot of mail accounts. But I move most mails to folders in my iCloud and Office 365 accounts with Mail rules.

The problem: Mail is stuck on an ever-increasing number of mail messages that it can't move. They show up in the destination folder but have no content. Here's an example of a German email that shows up on my Office 365 inbox on iPhone:

Now Mac Mail failed to move that message. So it shows up with an empty body:

At the same time, Mail's "Activity" window shows an ever-increasing number of messages haven't moved:

I quit Mail and used "CleanMyMac X" to "Speed Up Mail" (which I think rebuilds some index here). I selected "Mailbox - Rebuild" in Mac Mail with both my iCloud & Office 365 inboxes selected. The latter is still ongoing, but none of it has made any difference so far.

I had this problem in the past, too. But it always sorted itself out over time and possibly some Mail restarts.

How can I get Mail unstuck?

Regards,

Karsten S.

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 4:11 AM

Similar questions

2 replies

Mar 2, 2022 6:35 AM in response to Karsten Silz

Hi Karsten Silz,

​Thank you for using the Apple Support Communities. We understand your Mail app seems to be stuck while moving messages, and we'd like to help.

To start, try booting your Mac into safe mode to help rule out some possible software causes. Here's How to use safe mode on your Mac.

Once you start up in safe mode, see if Mail makes any progress and let us know what you find.

Take care.

Mail stuck "moving messages" to account folders with Mail rules

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.