Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Monterey but can't sign in. Any suggestions?

I upgraded to Monterery but now although I can open my desktop as a guest user it won't open for my personal account. I enter the password and it just goes into the rainbow wheel.

I've tried restarting from power button several times but that has no effect

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 7:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 7:31 AM

This will depend on the specific Mac model you have. While logged into the Guest account, click the Apple menu and About this Mac and reply with your specific Mac model and year.

Apple changed from Intel to Intel w/T2 Security Chip to Apple Silicon (M1 / M1 Pro / M1 Max) chips and the process will vary depending on the hardware and the dependent security changes.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 1, 2022 7:31 AM in response to davidN4

This will depend on the specific Mac model you have. While logged into the Guest account, click the Apple menu and About this Mac and reply with your specific Mac model and year.

Apple changed from Intel to Intel w/T2 Security Chip to Apple Silicon (M1 / M1 Pro / M1 Max) chips and the process will vary depending on the hardware and the dependent security changes.

Mar 1, 2022 7:43 AM in response to davidN4

Yes, that's enough information. You have an Intel processor without the T2 Security Chip so that simplifies things.

First thing to do would be to login as Guest, go to Apple menu -> System Preferences -> Users & Groups and unlock the dialog box with the gold lock at the bottom left. Enter your username of your primary account and password. If it unlocks, attempt to create a new user account and check the box to allow the new user to Administer the Mac. Then reboot and see if you can login with that new account.

If this doesn't work, we can try other methods.

Mar 1, 2022 8:15 AM in response to James Brickley

Thanks again James. You've been really helpful. I managed that - new account took about 3 mins to open once I'd set it up so it was a bit nerve-wracking watching the wheel but it worked. Only problem now is that it doesnt remember anything I was doing - desktop & every app is clear so looks like I'm going have to reenter all the criteria for finding things BUT thank you at least I'm in & its all on the cloud somewhere! You said there might be there ways of getting in to the original account... would any of those help with that.... or is something that I should have anticipated with the upgrade.

Mar 1, 2022 8:37 AM in response to davidN4

Your data in your original account is still there it is just you are now logged on as an administrator in a different account. The trick will be getting to your data as each macOS user is restricted from fully accessing other user home folders.

Do you have an external hard drive other than a Time Machine drive? What I propose is that we recover your data to an external drive and then you can manually copy stuff over. Alternatively, I can show you how to use Terminal move the data to the /Users/Shared folder and grant ownership to the new admin account. Then you can at least copy stuff over that way.

Open Terminal:

Replace <text> with the actual user names.

The sudo command stands for "Super User Do" and you will be prompted for your new admin password.

List the users home folders

ls /Users

Move the <original_account> from /Users/<original_account> to /Users/Shared/<original_account>

sudo mv /Users/<original_account> /Users/Shared

Change Ownership to the new admin account

sudo chown -R <new_admin>:staff /Users/Shared/<original_account>

Then in Finder press Shift+CMD+G and go to /Users/Shared and you should be able to click on the <original_account> and access the files on the Desktop, Documents, etc. You can copy things over to the new account.

Upgraded to Monterey but can't sign in. Any suggestions?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.