You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange behavior of TurboTax

I just installed TurboTax and started a return. Starting with TurboTax closed, if I double click on the return, TurboTax appears to open, but the return is not there. Under "window" the return is listed, but selecting it has no effect. If I bring another application to the front and then click on TurboTax in the dock, nothing happens. Double clicking on the return then brings back the TurboTax menubar, with no return. If I use "Open recent" in the File menu and select the return, nothing happens. But if I got to "Open" in the File menu, the return opens before I select it!

OTOH if I click on the application in the dock, it open with the return visible.

I've never seen anything like this. "Get info" on the return says open with the TurboTax application. Any ideas? TIA...Tom

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 11:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 1:59 PM

Yes, that is certainly strange behavior. First thing to diagnose is whether it's a Turbotax problem, a Return file problem or a system problem.

Try shutting down & restarting your Mac. This often clears gremlin behaviors.

You might try creating a new user account (for diagnostic purposes). Then log on to the new user account and run Turbotax. Start a new return (again, for diagnostic purposes). If all seems well, then the issue is probably a corrupted Return file or perhaps Turbotax prefs in your regular user account.

However, if Turbotax is still acting up in the new account, then the problem is likely Turbotax itself and I'd suggest removing Turbotax & reinstalling it.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 1, 2022 1:59 PM in response to tomke3

Yes, that is certainly strange behavior. First thing to diagnose is whether it's a Turbotax problem, a Return file problem or a system problem.

Try shutting down & restarting your Mac. This often clears gremlin behaviors.

You might try creating a new user account (for diagnostic purposes). Then log on to the new user account and run Turbotax. Start a new return (again, for diagnostic purposes). If all seems well, then the issue is probably a corrupted Return file or perhaps Turbotax prefs in your regular user account.

However, if Turbotax is still acting up in the new account, then the problem is likely Turbotax itself and I'd suggest removing Turbotax & reinstalling it.

Mar 2, 2022 9:24 AM in response to MartinR

Thanks. Of course I've tried restarting and also "save as" to get a new return file which also did not appear upon double clicking. So I uninstalled including removing all the Mac Library files listed here  https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/installing/help/remove-uninstall-turbotax-for-mac/00/26050

and re-installed and it seems OK now.

Tom

[Link Edited by Moderator]

Strange behavior of TurboTax

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.