Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost/stolen Apple Watch dead but still showing location

My Apple Watch Series 5 has been lost for a couple of days, it’s definitely dead and hasn’t been powered on since the “Lost Mode” is still pending. However it seems to be updating locations, I have looked high and low over and over but I still can not find it, the locations it’s updating is where I have been. Is it possible that the Watch App is doing this updating and not my Apple Watch?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Mar 1, 2022 6:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 2:32 PM

I’ve already done the steps on the article you mentioned, my question is, since my watch is dead (no battery) how can it still keep updating? I know it’s not turned off because “lost mode” is still pending. My watch is also coincidentally in the locations that I have been and I know for a fact that it is not actually there with me.

84 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 2:32 PM in response to ACW_13

I’ve already done the steps on the article you mentioned, my question is, since my watch is dead (no battery) how can it still keep updating? I know it’s not turned off because “lost mode” is still pending. My watch is also coincidentally in the locations that I have been and I know for a fact that it is not actually there with me.

Apr 8, 2022 8:20 PM in response to Nicholaskwolf

So it updates where your phone is until it is charged? Why does it not show the last known location like other devices. My watch is LTE enabled and has its own phone number assigned to it. You would think that at least would allow it to show its location or last known. Apple needs to fix this. It doesn’t make sense to keep updating it because it was paired. The watch should send its last known location before running out of power and leave it at that. 🤦

Jun 20, 2022 3:07 AM in response to UnableToFindUser

Findmy can only tell you where your watch is as long as the watch is transmitting a signal,if it's dead then it can't report it's position so findmy tells you the watch's last known position when it was online.

Findmy can't possibly know that your battery is about to go flat so it does the next best thing which is to tell you it's last known position when it was receiving signals from the watch.

That's how it works,if you want it to work some other way then suggest here by all means;

May 12, 2022 2:28 AM in response to msilvest1216

As super stressful as this is, I just wanted to share my experience, in hopes that it may help someone else. When accessing "Find My" app from my iPhone, similar to most of you, I was very confused as to why my "dead" Apple Watch seemed to always be in the same location as my iPhone; yet, it was nowhere to be found. Concerned that this iOS's feature/app could somehow be sending me incorrect information, I decided to compare, both:

1. The data obtained from iCloud.com's "Find My" feature, accessed via my Mac, to
  2. The data that I previously received from the "Find My" app, accessed via my iPhone

Surprisingly, the data from my Mac, DID NOT correspond to the information that was obtained from my iOS Device. Upon immediate accessing the iCloud.com's "Find My" feature via my Mac, I was able to see the "LAST KNOWN LOCATION" before my Apple Watch went dead/offline. Something I was unable to do with my iOS device and after reading the previous responses I now understand why.

In conclusion, what I learned from this entire fiasco is that, once an iPhone is disabled or id dead:

1."Find My" app installed on the watch's paired device, (i.e. iPhone) will be of NO USE.

• Mainly, because once the device is disabled, the watch's location is then assumed to be wherever the "paired device" is; which may or may not be the watch's actual location. Therefore, once the watch is disabled, utilizing the "paired device" as a means to locate the watch, may only lead to further confusion because it will always appear as if the watch is with the "paired device" or at one of its most recent locations; dependent mostly on, factors such as, wifi eligibility.

2.Determining the last known location, prior to the device being disabled, may be achieved by accessing the iCloud.com's "Find My" feature; using a device that is NOT PAIRED with the Apple Watch. At least, this was my saving grace.

3.The "PING or Playing Sound" feature located in "Find My" DID NOT work, while trying to locate my disabled apple watch. However, once the watch was REBOOTED, the feature DID work.

As mentioned previously, this is a horrible design flaw, one that I hope is fixed with the newest update. Being that we have come to expect so much more from apple, it's highly frustrating when mishaps like this occurs. Hope you guys can find this info somewhat helpful.

Sep 6, 2022 6:31 AM in response to aurelie1101

aurelie1101 wrote:

well there should be a reserve battery that can be activated in the case it is marked as lost. Just like when the watch can keep showing the time even when it needs charging. And I would like its "last known location" to be available even after 24hrs. What is so good about GDPR and privacy if my watch is lying on the ground somewhere free to be picked up by a stranger whilst Apple, in the name of privacy laws, is not allowed to let me - ME the owner of the watch - access the whereabouts of its last known location after 24hrs 🤦🏻‍♀️

There's no room for an additional battery. When your watch is in Power Reserve, it's using the main battery but in very small amounts. It would take far more battery power than that to connect to a network, receive a signal and then emit a sound.

You can certainly let Apple know your thoughts on the matter here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Sep 6, 2022 6:41 AM in response to taly114

1. On another device, other than the one the Apple Watch is paired to, access "FindMy." I accessed "find my" from my Mac and was immediately able to see my watch's last known location, prior to dying.
  2. keep in mind that this only can be done once. When trying to Re-Access the same info for the second time, using my Mac again. Instead of showing me the actual last location, it showed that my watch was in the same location as the paired device, my iPhone; which of course was incorrect.

Mar 29, 2022 9:07 AM in response to Stephmyers

Yes!!!! Literally Sunday evening. It had been missing/dead for over a month. My husband and I just moved into a new house and it was on the kitchen table (why I have no idea) and through all the chaos I just have wrapped it up in my hoodie. So when I finally got a day to out all of the laundry away that had been piling up since we moved in it was in the VERY LAST ARTICLE OF CLOTHING. When I tell you I literally went crazy looking for it, tearing apart my house & cars, feeling so defeated, the shriek that came out of me when finding it scared my husband half to death hahaha

Apr 10, 2022 10:29 PM in response to Nicholaskwolf

I have been going insane looking for my Apple Watch….

same thing, went to “find my watch” and seeing it was updating random places i went. Obsessing over this.

I remember the day I lost it, it had been sitting on the ledge in my porch for months Uncharged. I decided to take it to work with me and was going to charge while I was at work. I never did wear it. When I went to look for it a few days later it wasn’t in my bag, not on my desk or any coat pockets…. It’s gone.

I’ve been looking for it for about 6 weeks. I knew it was dead but desperately kept trying to refresh find my watch.

then thought it was in my van.

o wish it updated the last place it wasZ this is horrible.

Lost/stolen Apple Watch dead but still showing location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.