Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard drive randomly ejects

Hi,

so for the past few weeks I've been experiencing my mac randomly ejecting my external hard drive. Doesn't matter which USB port I use, it will get ejected when least expected. Every now and then it will show up in disk utility (however, only one of the two partitions I have on it) and it won't even go through First Aid because the disk will eject before it even progresses a little bit (an it takes forever). I've tried connecting a brand new external hard drive and it got randomly ejected too so I guess it wasn't the drive's fault especially since I connected both to my iPad and they worked well enough.

The system report recognises the drive in any given USB / Thunderbolt bus I connect it to, it spins, after waiting forever for it to show itself and any of the data on my screen it will either give me an error that the data can't be copied or the disk will get ejected before I can even do any of that stuff.

Anyone else experiencing such problems recently / got an idea how to fix this?

(The disk itself got sent back to LaCie for them to thoroughly check it)

MBP 15 (2018)

macOS Monterey 12.2.1

MacBook Pro with Touch Bar

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 10:59 AM

Hi mic.jan,

You might want to check out this thread (there are others, too), and add your voice to the chorus:

External Drives in Monterey - Apple Community

Similar questions

1 reply

External hard drive randomly ejects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.