Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Pro restarts whenever I put it to sleep

Hi all, for the past week my MacBook Pro restarts after I close it, or when put it to sleep from the File menu. I want it to sleep, not restart. It is a 2020 MacBook, running Catalina. I will appreciate any advice. Cheers, Jon

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 6:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 12:59 PM

Hello JonTardiff,

Are you seeing any message saying that your Mac restarted because of a problem?

If so, the steps in here can help: If your Mac restarted because of a problem

If those don't do the trick or you're not seeing that message, could you please confirm when you first starting experiencing this? Did it begin after downloading a new piece of software or an update?

Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 12:59 PM in response to JonTardiff

Hello JonTardiff,

Are you seeing any message saying that your Mac restarted because of a problem?

If so, the steps in here can help: If your Mac restarted because of a problem

If those don't do the trick or you're not seeing that message, could you please confirm when you first starting experiencing this? Did it begin after downloading a new piece of software or an update?

Cheers!

Mar 4, 2022 6:32 AM in response to JonTardiff

Hi JonTardiff,

We appreciate you providing us this information. We'd recommend resetting the SMC on your MacBook Pro. Depending on the model of your MacBook Pro, you can find the steps to perform this in How to reset the SMC of your Mac.

About the SMCThe system management controller is responsible for managing behaviors related to these features:

• Power, including the power button and power to the USB ports• Battery and charging• Fans and other thermal-management features• Indicators or sensors such as status indicator lights (sleep status, battery charging status, and others), the sudden motion sensor, the ambient light sensor, and keyboard backlighting• Behavior when opening and closing the lid of a notebook computerLet us know the results.

Take care!

Mar 3, 2022 5:31 PM in response to Bryan_K1

Hi Bryan_K1,

Thanks for your message :)

No, there is no error message displayed.

The MacBook simply shuts down after a couple of hours, even if it is plugged in and left idle.

And if I close it or choose sleep from the file menu, it powers down. Then it restarts when I open the MacBook again.

This just started happening this week, 3 days ago. I have not downloaded any new software, to my knowledge.

Thanks again for your assistance.

—Jon

My MacBook Pro restarts whenever I put it to sleep

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.