Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The apple store installed this battery in my phone and it now says unknown!

Why does my battery say unknown part? It was replaced by the apple store 3 days ago

iPhone 11

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 11:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2022 12:04 PM

No, you are misunderstanding what you read. It is referring to UNAUTHORIZED replacement batteries, not batteries replaced by Apple in an Apple Store. That means batteries replaced by 3rd party repair services, who do not have access to authentic Apple parts.

You should not be seeing the message on your phone and it means they didn't complete the replacement correctly. Take the phone and your receipt back to the Apple Store and they will correct this mistake.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 4, 2022 12:04 PM in response to Lisiaw

No, you are misunderstanding what you read. It is referring to UNAUTHORIZED replacement batteries, not batteries replaced by Apple in an Apple Store. That means batteries replaced by 3rd party repair services, who do not have access to authentic Apple parts.

You should not be seeing the message on your phone and it means they didn't complete the replacement correctly. Take the phone and your receipt back to the Apple Store and they will correct this mistake.

Mar 3, 2022 6:58 PM in response to y_p_w

I actually saw the message when I was leaving the apple store Sunday. I walked back into the store and asked the store manager why this message was showing when I look at my battery health. He said it should disappear after a few days. I knew it was strange, but took what he said and left. Now I’ll have to go back and get help with this. My apple care plus is over also. It ended Monday. One day after the battery was replaced.

Mar 4, 2022 11:32 AM in response to sberman

No they aren’t contradictory at all…I went in Sunday and the battery was replaced…walked out then went directly back in to ask why this message was there. Manager then say’s it’ll disappear in a few days…it’s 5 days later now and the message is still there.

So, now I have to go back to the apple store for them to fix this

Mar 4, 2022 11:34 AM in response to Lisiaw

Lisiaw wrote:
No they aren’t contradictory at all…I went in Sunday and the battery was replaced…walked out then went directly back in to ask why this message was there. Manager then say’s it’ll disappear in a few days…it’s 5 days later now and the message is still there

In that case, perhaps go back and tell them that it didn't, and they need to go in and properly reset the system.

Mar 4, 2022 1:15 PM in response to Lisiaw

Lisiaw wrote:
I read this article that says it will happen even to with an authorized apple battery replacement. https://www.theverge.com/platform/amp/2019/8/14/20805744/apple-iphone-battery-replacements-ios-safety-statement-unauthorized
If the article is true, it means I’ll never see my battery info under settings after this replacement

Not exactly. The idea is that maybe something like a salvaged battery from another iPhone is installed. The message will be displayed in that case since whoever does that won't have access to Apple's proprietary equipment to reset the condition.

Apple has already announced a DIY and third party repair program. It's unclear how they're going to handle battery replacements. My guess would be someone purchasing a battery replacement from Apple will have to pay a deposit and get it back with exchange of the previous battery, and perhaps they'll need to bring it in to get the message reset, which is done with Apple's proprietary equipment.

The apple store installed this battery in my phone and it now says unknown!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.