Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard disk question

I have a new Seagate Portal Drive external hard disk 5TB. I plan to partition in two groups for backup and manual files backup. Like 2 TB would be Apple Time Machine and 3TB for personal files but I want this 3TB that does not involves with Time Machine. Will I able to divide them using the Time Machine? If yes, then how?

My older, WD, "My Book 2TB" does not allow me to transfer my personal files into the external hard disk because Time Machine controls whole external hard disk from HD to external hard HD.

Off topic, my WD is dumb that has to be connected to the electricity wire all the time. My new Seagate HD is straight to iMac or mini computer without extra wire. The USB wire is part of the electricity that connects with the computer which is very nice. No more extra wires.

Mac mini, macOS 11.4

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 12:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 3, 2022 2:02 PM

The External Drive would have to be Partitioned in Disk Utilities Before Time Machine Backup was setup. Otherwise, TM Backup will use the Entire Drive and make it Read Only.

Personal Preferences not doubt but putting all you Eggs in One Basket ( One Drive two Partitions ) - what happens if or when the drive fails ?

Worth considering before moving forwards.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 3, 2022 2:02 PM in response to Webworldfly

The External Drive would have to be Partitioned in Disk Utilities Before Time Machine Backup was setup. Otherwise, TM Backup will use the Entire Drive and make it Read Only.

Personal Preferences not doubt but putting all you Eggs in One Basket ( One Drive two Partitions ) - what happens if or when the drive fails ?

Worth considering before moving forwards.

Point # 11 - Do you have a Rescue Plan In-Place. This comprises having 3 Backups using 2 methods and 1 Off Site incase of Theft, Loss or Natural Disasters. A Time Machine Backup  is very useful and can be used to Revert to Previous Working macOS

Point # 12 - For addition purposes - two Tested Bootable Clones each to separate external drives. This is insurance incase the upgrades goes sideways. At least one Tested Clone and / or Time Machine Backup should be Off - Site

Mar 4, 2022 9:43 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you for the information. I created some folders on new external hard disk without a Time Machine.

I looked up the Seagate website and signed it up. It explained me about the backup. I do not feel comfortable without seeing its app for the backup because it was on the Seagate website. I feel that the company's website help you for your backup which is kind of nice but it will get away from you in order to avoid any new problems later. If the app is on the external hard disk, then it would be good as a proof.

External hard disk question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.