Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Partitioning external hard drive

I am currently using two LaCie external hard drives with my late-2015 iMac. One hard drive, with 2T of space (less than 1T in use), holds music files ripped from CDs; the other, with 4T of space (close to 1T in use), holds my Time Machine backup.

The port on the 4T drive is beginning to fail: intermittently, the iMac loses connection to the drive. I've isolated the problem to the drive, since switching the cables and the USB ports to which they are connected always results in loss of the same drive. I am considering replacing the two external drives with ONE new 4T drive. My questions: Will I have to partition this new drive to accommodate the music files and the Time Machine backups? And will Disc Utility do this all for me?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.3

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 1:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 1:35 PM

Your TM backup should be to a dedicated drive, i.e. not shared in any way.

You can partition an external drive but keep in mind, drives fail; not partitions. You lose one multipurpose drive and you lose everything.

My personal position is multiple single purpose external drives. Eggs not all in one basket sort of thing. I like spreading the risks around; not concentrating them in one place.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 13, 2022 1:35 PM in response to steveod1

Your TM backup should be to a dedicated drive, i.e. not shared in any way.

You can partition an external drive but keep in mind, drives fail; not partitions. You lose one multipurpose drive and you lose everything.

My personal position is multiple single purpose external drives. Eggs not all in one basket sort of thing. I like spreading the risks around; not concentrating them in one place.

Jul 13, 2022 1:48 PM in response to steveod1

steveod1 wrote:

My questions: Will I have to partition this new drive to accommodate the music files and the Time Machine backups? And will Disc Utility do this all for me?

I would second ku4hx's suggestion to use separate drives for your goal. However, to directly answer your question, you can partition the new drive to work.

Since macOS High Sierra, Apple has provided APFS, which has pretty much superseded HFS+. With APFS, what were called partitions are now called containers. Inside of these you can have one of more volumes. It's important to note that Time Machine uses a "dedicated" volume type ... so you don't want to use that same volume for anything other than for TM.

Now you have a couple of options:

1. You can create a single container, with multiple volumes. One for your music files and the other for TM. However, I do not recommend going this route.
  2. You can create two containers. Dedicate one for your music and the other for TM. This is the route I would go if I was limited to just having a single drive.

Partitioning external hard drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.