Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving Logic Sounds to external HD

I was wondering if anyone could help me out,

I would like to get Logic and put the sound bank on an external HD. As described here.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208892

I have a few questions.

How much memory is Logic and how much will I be able to move to an external HD ??

I am also wondering...

I have an HD with the Application Band In A Box on it and there's plenty of room on that drive. However, the HD is partitioned. On the other partitions is a Time Machine drive.

Does this mean I won't be able to use this particular drive as in the description in the link above explains,

"You can’t store your library on an external drive or other disk used for Time Machine backups."

Does this also include drives which are partitioned ?

It's weird advice given that my TM partition is OS Extended (Journaled) and the storage space is APFS. I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem as I figure they're basically separate disks.

But I would like to find out and know for sure before setting everything up.

MacBook Pro 13”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 7:50 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 30, 2020 8:29 AM

TM will not move the SL to a volume (or partition) used for TM. Another volume on the same drive can be used. Be sure this volume is correctly formatted.

In summary you proceed as follow:

1. Download and install Logic on the Local drive. (About 2 GB).
  2. Open Logic. It then downloads essential content on the Local drive. (About 4 GB).
  3. When essential content installation is completed, use the Relocate Sound Library to move the SL to the external drive. This moves most of the 4 GB content from 2 above.
  4. Use to Library Manager window to download all or part of the Sound Library. Everything is installed on the external drive. (Full Library is about 64 GB).

One caveat for point 4: The Library Manager first download Library content on the Local drive before installing it on the external drive. You need to keep enough space on the Local drive for the download. If you're tight on disk space, I recommend you download the SL piece by piece.

More info on Logic requirement: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/

Hope that helps,

WD

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 30, 2020 8:29 AM in response to Mel0dymaker

TM will not move the SL to a volume (or partition) used for TM. Another volume on the same drive can be used. Be sure this volume is correctly formatted.

In summary you proceed as follow:

1. Download and install Logic on the Local drive. (About 2 GB).
  2. Open Logic. It then downloads essential content on the Local drive. (About 4 GB).
  3. When essential content installation is completed, use the Relocate Sound Library to move the SL to the external drive. This moves most of the 4 GB content from 2 above.
  4. Use to Library Manager window to download all or part of the Sound Library. Everything is installed on the external drive. (Full Library is about 64 GB).

One caveat for point 4: The Library Manager first download Library content on the Local drive before installing it on the external drive. You need to keep enough space on the Local drive for the download. If you're tight on disk space, I recommend you download the SL piece by piece.

More info on Logic requirement: https://www.apple.com/logic-pro/specs/

Hope that helps,

WD

Mar 30, 2020 1:33 PM in response to Wilddrums

Hey WD.

Thanks again for all your great advice!

I've managed to make a lot more space of the machine. Once I have updated my Band In a Box I am going to buy Logic!!!

Mega excited, it's been a long time since I have used Logic. Biab has some new features to make it even easier to use both together.

You seem to know your stuff, I was wondering how often do you reset your pram/smc stuff and Disk Utility?

Mar 30, 2020 2:04 PM in response to Mel0dymaker

You're welcome.

I rarely reset the PRAM or the SMC unless I experience some strange problem. Usually with external devices.

Disk Utility has many purposes. I use it mostly to format/partition external drives. Sometime to check issues with the local drive, volumes or file systems. Less important with modern SSD and File Systems.

Best way to keep your Mac healthy is - in my book: Install software only from trusted sources, avoid any utility that pretends to clean/optimize your Mac, use as much as possible devices that are class compliant (No drivers), avoid OS/Browser extensions...

More important put in place a good backup strategy.

On BIAB if you use the plugin version inside Logic, I'm interested about your experience.

Next time, I recommend you start a new discussion when you have an additional question. This help other users to find answers.

WD

Moving Logic Sounds to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.