Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M1 - Transferring Programmes to external Thunderbolt 3 1 TB SSD drive

Hello everyone!

My computer is a Mac M1 8GB with a 250GB hard disc. 

Before I get to my questions, I'm using Logic Pro X and Final Cut Pro, however, my regular 250GB hard

drive is almost full.

Situation - Due to a lack of space on my hard drive, I was unable to download all of the current music

production software (Logic Pro library sounds) from the Apple website. So, to help with this, I've acquired a TEKQ Thunderbolt 3, 1TB SSD. 

According to the instructions, it works on all platforms and is exFAT compatible, therefore there is no 

need to format. However, I'm not sure what the following steps are.

My question is if, now that I have a Thunderbolt 3 1TB drive and my Logic Pro software is on the interna250GB disc, I can save the sound library that I couldn't fit on the internal drive to the external 1TB TEKQThunderbolt drive without any issues. Or would it be better if I could transfer my main programs, Logic Pro and Final Cut Pro, along with all their associated files, to this disc to make things easier and more straightforward?  If that's the case, how and what would be the best method to go about it? 

What process/procedure in steps would I need to follow in order to accomplish this?  I'm currently leaning towards the latter option, many thanks.

Regards

Kalim

Mac mini, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 23, 2022 10:29 AM

You should keep the Programs on the internal SSD and move the Libraries to the external SSD.

see > Move Logic Pro library to external drive

and > Move Final Cut library to external drive

Similar questions

3 replies

Mac mini M1 - Transferring Programmes to external Thunderbolt 3 1 TB SSD drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.