Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Link FCP to a Sound Library on an External USB Drive

I have FCP running on two of my machines, a Mac Pro and my MBP. I just successfully relocated my entire Sound Library and a couple of project files (in a folder called Logic) to an external SSD USB drive. That removes about 68GB of data from my HD.

Now I want to relocate or simply link to this Sound Library on the external drive, on my MBP. Make sense?

If I select Relocate Sound Library, my external drive (containing the entire Sound Library) is shown, but it's greyed out and the status indicates "Sound Library files exist here."

Well, how do I tell FCP to use this library?

"Open Sound Library Manager" doesn't offer any option to do this.

I can change the Audio Recording Path in Project Settings, no problem.

What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 8:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 9:36 PM

See if these instructions help:

mac

Al

Similar questions

2 replies

Sep 15, 2023 1:29 AM in response to Tom Hanser

By pure coincidence I did precisely that yesterday.

The Apple instructions are correct but rather long-winded.

I right-clicked on the sound folder and selected "Make alias".

I then dragged the alias to Mac HD/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/Final Cut Pro Sound Effects after which I deleted the original alias on the external SSD and restarted FCP.

They all showed up in the Browser window when Sound Effects was selected though there was a 30 second delay before they appeared, possibly due to the vast numbers involved and my slow computer.

Link FCP to a Sound Library on an External USB Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.